Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

October 25th, 2009 00:00

Question on Alienware High-Performance Liquid Cooling?

Does Alienware ship the Aurora and Aurora ALX with the liquid cooling reservoir pre-filled?

Thanks

October 31st, 2009 23:00

Bump

138 views and no one knows the answer?

4 Posts

February 11th, 2012 11:00

I have also beenwondering if the Alienware water-coooled systems come with soft water (or another coolant).  I have been using water-cooled systems since the 1970's, beginning with a 370/165, and later using it with the 370 system complexes 3032 and 3033. Water-cooling is vastly superior to air-cooling, and with decades of experience with over 2000 mainframe systems (I am a mainframe, midrange, and desktop consultant), I have yet to encounter a leak.

Does anyone know if Alienware ships the coolant wit their systems?

431 Posts

February 11th, 2012 12:00

They are pre filled yes. And elemental  water cooling in most cases is very superior. BUT nowadays they have cheap pre filled everything assembled water solutions. In some cases you will get better temps on air solutions than these water coolers. In the world of water coolers these Alienware solutions are LOW END. They are  bolt on preassembled prefilled, Alienware just sticks it on there. Still better than a stock heatsink, but higher end air solutions can be better. Origin PC uses the real deal water cooling. Ive seen a few posts on this forum with leaks in their Alienwares. our setup is basically like a corsair h50.

4 Posts

February 11th, 2012 13:00

I suppose there is no harm in adding a bit more about the IBM solution that began with the 3032 and 3033 systems.  They had what they called a thermal conduction module (TCM) that used micro-pistons and helium to stabilize the CPU's temperature.  Do not envision automotive pistons -- these were miniature piston-like parts that made no noise, and were totally invisible to the owner or customer engineers (CE's).  This greatly increased the thermal conduction -- therefore, the name.

4 Posts

February 11th, 2012 13:00

Well, thank you very much, C_ronic!  It is a pitiful shame that water-cooling is not, apparently, taken as seriously as it should be. Amdahl used to advertise that they only needed air cooling with their large mainframe systems that competed with IBM in the mainframe world.  What they did not mention was that you needed a very nearby 20-ton Liebert air chiller system next to it. Water cooling saved us a significant amount on our enormous utility bills, too.

Yes, thank you very much, indeed!

No Events found!