Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 20th, 2010 10:00

Replacing Power Supply with Corsair AX1200

I am replacing my 1000W PSU with a new AX1200 and am wondering if someone would advise me on this 10-pin MIO board connector.  I have read Morblore's comments and it does not seem like that big of a deal.  Has anyone else swapped PSU's?  Perhaps Chris has a wiring diagram for this 10-pin connector so that I am not going in to this blind?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 20th, 2010 10:00

All I have access to is what you get here.

22 Posts

September 20th, 2010 11:00

I didn't see any info in any of those manuals.  Perhaps you could have an "engineering" buddy check on a wiring diagram, if possible?  Thanks Chris.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 20th, 2010 15:00

Chris ... Something like this, that is available for the XPS-420

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/xps420/en/OM/HTML/parts.htm#wp1472790

Dell has been releasing this kind of info on machines for years. Somehow, it hasn't been released for the AW desktops yet.

2.4K Posts

September 20th, 2010 20:00

I did it back on my XPS 730 system. In the book that came with it it showed the diagram for the 10-pin. Check your book and all the info on the dell site for it. Once you find the diagram you just pop out the pins on the 10-pin connector on the Dell PSU and then do the same on the new PSU. Only issue I had was I had to splice 2 wires on the new PSU. Keep in mind if you need to send the system back or have warranty work done you need the stock PSU back in the system so don't do anything that can not be undone.

When I got the XPS 730x system I was going to swap the Corsair 1k watt into that from my 730 but decided to just buy a booster. I think I made the right choice. I bought 2 of them and they really come in handy. I had one in my fathers system last week. I bought him a new corsair 650 PSU and a couple gtx 450 cards. The cards came a week before the PSU so I used the booster to run it for him untill the new PSU came. Plus with the booster you can change your system config on the fly to whatever you like and you will always have the power there. Right now with the one booster I have a max of 1600watts all for less then a hundred bucks.

If you do decide to go with a bigger PSU dont get a 1200w. Go for a 1500w PSU. That gives you more power for upgrades down the road and wont cost you much more.

No Events found!