Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2012 12:00

[SOLVED] HDMI OUT cable loses signal / disconnects from monitor, when slightly touched / moved (Alienware M18x)

Recently I have purchased Alienware M18x and [..] premium 3yrs support, not only I could hardly ever dial in, not only I was 2 times promised to receive a call back next day, which never happened. not only I have post solution to my problem with HDMI to dell forum (vga compatibility flag) . 

But what is the most annoying today I can't dial in at all again and hdmi is sometimes disconnecting the cable from the computer.

October 15th, 2012 13:00

Sorry about the inconveniences. We can help you with this. Please send us an e-mail to AWSocialMedia@dell.com with your service tag, phone and a brief description of the issue and we'll get back to you ASAP.

In the meantime, what's exactly the issue that your computer has?

October 15th, 2012 14:00

Unfortunately not that I'm aware of. We are here to help. Let us know if you have any other issue after you talk to the helpDesk

10 Posts

Thank you, I will let you know next week. The only way to change  HDMI OUT port is to change the motherboard? :( <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

10 Posts

1st case was HDMI cant discover my SAMSUNG monitor, which I have later solved by myself.

en.community.dell.com/.../20202747.aspx (so I published solution for everybody).

2nd case is hardware now. When you plug in HDMI cable everything is fine, but if only you touch this, it may lose signal for a while, it just doesnt fit well the HDMI socket as it does in the SAMSUNG monitor. Tried 2 cables, tried to reverse the cable .

My service tag <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Finally, I was put through to Alienware helpdesk by sales team (thank you) and we've almost set a technician visit next week. Computer works fine, except this HDMI connector.

Thank you for your help in advance.

I was filling very disappointed when trying to give a call so many times and only waiting on the line, but nobody pick ups.

Is there any number to get directly to Alienware Helpdesk, or use the express service tag? In other case I had to tell the story 2 times.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 15th, 2012 16:00

2nd case is hardware now. When you plug in HDMI cable everything is fine, but if only you touch this, it may lose signal for a while, it just doesnt fit well the HDMI socket as it does in the SAMSUNG monitor. Tried 2 cables, tried to reverse the cable .

I've always thought the HDMI port/plug was poorly designed:

1. Pins are too small. Standard connector should have been bigger for more surface area
2. No screws or retention device

But it is what it is. It has no retention device because it's really a consumer home theater audio/video port (not a computer interface). Notice none of the other old home theater ports have retention device either. They are not built to be "moved around".

All that said ... I have never seen a problem with an HDMI port on a device, amp, computer, whatever ... if it's fully inserted (straight in) and left alone. I have seen poorly make cables and out-of-spec cables (or lower speed v1.2 cables used where they shouldn't be). Now, if the HDMI port has been damaged or bent ... different story. They are pretty fragile.

Good luck with your repair.

2.4K Posts

October 15th, 2012 18:00

I've always thought the HDMI port/plug was poorly designed:

1. Pins are too small. Standard connector should have been bigger for more surface area
2. No screws or retention device

But it is what it is. It has no retention device because it's really a consumer home theater audio/video port (not a computer interface). Notice none of the other old home theater ports have retention device either. They are not built to be "moved around".

All that said ... I have never seen a problem with an HDMI port on a device, amp, computer, whatever ... if it's fully inserted (straight in) and left alone. I have seen poorly make cables and out-of-spec cables (or lower speed v1.2 cables used where they shouldn't be). Now, if the HDMI port has been damaged or bent ... different story. They are pretty fragile.

Good luck with your repair.

I have seen poorly built cables too and most likely it's the cable and not the port. I'v seen cheap HDMI cables that get horrible interference from other cables or would give bad picture quality. I'v seen ones that if you bent it ever so slightly it would drop the signal and I'v seen ones that just went bad in a very short amount of time.

It's been my experience that it's best to just spend the extra money on a quility HDMI cable to avoid the headaches a cheap one can cause.

10 Posts

October 16th, 2012 02:00

I totally agree that poor cable with cause interferences with other cables and even lose signal every one second, but this time it depends on the angle you plug the HDMI cable to the port? If the angle is 0 (completely fitted), rather wont work, if you change it to let's say 5-10 degrees it will work without any problem, unless you accidentally touch the cable, when for example you are scanning sth on the device nearby.  

10 Posts

What I don't agree, sorry this is not an average notebook from discount store, HDMI ports should work fine, especially in the 1st week you use them! [..]

The same with the support, if you pay for it, extend to 3 yrs, you should be able at least to dial in after 5 minutes of waiting and so somebody can listen to you and offer help, so you wont be so disappointed with the best brand on the world you was thinking it is

10 Posts

HDMI cable for 50,- isn't rather the cheapest one.

FYI I've spent last 10 yrs working with Dell computers and never have problems like this with the HDMI. 

I would agree if this happens after 2 yrs of using this, and not carrying around - it's on the kensingston stand, as I have read about poor cables I've just bought this new one next day.

Why HDMI in both SAMSUNG monitors works fine? And the same cable/any cable fits great?

[..] nowadays HDMI will be most often VIDEO port people use. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 16th, 2012 14:00

If the angle is 0 (completely fitted), rather wont work,

if you change it to let's say 5-10 degrees it will work without any problem, unless you accidentally touch the cable,

If you are absolutely sure the cable is good ...

yes, it sounds like the HDMI port is damaged.

10 Posts

October 16th, 2012 17:00

@Tesla1856, @morble, thank you for quick response to my previous posts and putting in doubts cables again 

As I was expected Alienware organs sits in metal case/cage, so I took a flashlight to check the HDMI OUT port - it looks fine, totally fine. 

As both of you mentioned cable again, I took knife and cropped a little HDMI plug isolation. Why?

Before this I've measured the deep of HDMI port and is deeper than the plug.

Result, case seems to be solved.  

My findings are (am I right?):

In comparsion to heavy made Alienware laptop the Samsung monitor has no case covering HDMI port, that's why HDMI cable fits so goodly. 

Alienware packed in metal case hides HDMI port about 3-4 mm inside the cover, so the plug should be just longer to get deeper.

More I have compared the distances between [cover --> the beginning of  HDMI port] for HDMI IN(right side) and HDMI OUT(left side) and must admit that HDMI OUT is 2 times farer to reach than HDMI in (like motherboard mounted closer to right side, but that's ok...

The cable I've bought and works, but needed knife to improve it:  Sandstorm HDMI 2 HDMI 10,2 Gbps Black Servers 2m - £ 50,- (IMHO overpaid)

The cable I've bought earlier just for connecting with desktop - Neet® - 1m - HDMI to DVI Digital HD Video Cable - £ 5,95 won't work at all ( link )

Which cable do you suggest?  Where to buy it?

Again thank you for your help and sorry for doubting in Alienware!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 16th, 2012 19:00

I get my HDMI cables at MonoPrice.com. From the plastic to the end of the HDMI cable is 8mm ... Here, I'll check another brand ... yep, 8mm ... that's got to be in the standard specs. or something.

I've never seen an HDMI cable "bottom-out" or press all the way up against the outer case of anything. They always have another 0.5-2.0mm to go (if they could) or a 0.5-2.0mm space.

This is accomplished by the tip of the metal HDMI socket not being recessed into the device by more than 1.0-1.5mm . If any more than that, it looks like the HDMI plug will either be flush with  the outer case and if just a little deeper ... start to not be inserted all the way in (because the outer case is in the way). It will "look like" it's connected all the way, but it's really not.

207 Posts

May 31st, 2013 09:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                                              

No Events found!