Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2017 13:00

Samsung 960 Pro low performance in Aurora R6?

MY 960 Pro 512GB (only drive) is mounted in the motherboards M.2 slot. The computer is running on Dell's installed BIOS (RAID ON) which means that the drive is operating on the Windows 10 NVMe driver, and Intel RST. Crystal Mark's scores are Seq. Read - 2,736 and Seq. Write - 1,862, while Samsung's specs are Seq. Read - up to 3,500 and Seq. Write - up to 2,100. While I understand that drive benchmarks are not absolute, but ballpark figures, these seem very low to me. Or am I being unrealistic, and are these figures within normal parameters? I would like to improve this performance if at all possible, which brings up my question.

Does it seem logical or at least possible that changing to Samsung's specific driver for this device would significantly improve performance? If so, then I would need to change from RAID to AHCI as neither Samsung's driver nor their Magician utility will install on a RAID BIOS. AHCI only. The thought of doing another clean install, and the subsequent setup and configuring is not at all appealing to me. so I have been looking for a loophole and found this:

triplescomputers.com/blog/uncategorized/solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation/

Do any of you Tech Types think that this might work? I know that he is not referring specifically to a Dell BIOS here, but do you think that this would work on a Dell as well? Would it be necessary to make other BIOS changes to get it to work on a Dell? If so then it would be a great time and trouble saver, and a great help to us "typical users".

My BIOS settings: UEFI boot / SATA OPP. - RAID ON / SECURE BOOT MODE - STANDARD / SECURE BOOT - ENABLED / BOOT OPTION #1 - WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 25th, 2017 14:00

Sounds like yours is working fine to me. You know yours is already crazy-fast right?    I doubt making it 10% faster is going to make a difference in perceived speed.

Most people say SATA type is irrelevant since the M.2 slot is using a completely different Interface type (PCIe) and using NVMe protocol over that PCIe Interface. Although, RAID setting does (reportedly) seem to make a different on a clean Windows install ... I'm speculating its because the system capabilities are treated as a whole at that point.

So, I think it's like this:

SATA or PCIe interface and running AHCI or NVMe protocols.

----

SATA (using AHCI)  or a similar one called RAID

PCIe (using NVMe)

Here is my pre-installed Samsung pm961 512gb NVMe SSD in my Aurora-R6 M.2 motherboard slot
My BIOS settings sound same as yours. Intel-RST v15.2.2.1030 was pre-installed. I also have a spinning HDD in here.

Aurora-R6_Samsung-PM-961_M2-NVMe-SSD

Sounds like mine is a little faster Reading, and yours is a little faster Writing. Either is working if you ask me (they are slightly different models).

March 25th, 2017 17:00

Edit: NVM. Forget it.

4 Posts

June 15th, 2017 20:00

Below is my speed for 960 Pro (SATA mode set to RAID)

1 Message

August 12th, 2017 16:00

I purchased a R6  Again I'm struggling with trying to get that Samsung driver to work. In Eufi mode with raid on since it wont work anyway else. Should I re-install windows with RST in the folder or how do i get it to use the Samsung driver...I'm at about 2900 on crystal disk...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 12th, 2017 20:00

I think I would take your 2900-read/1500-write and call it done (that's really fast). Right, only RAID mode works so might as well run Intel-RST.

I think Samsung Magician only works in (un-attainable) AHCI mode. Could be the same deal with Samsung PCIe/NVMe driver.

August 16th, 2017 11:00

How is it that you managed to get the 960 Pro to boot on the system. I am currently on the 960 evo with no success at all. I will probably go and exchange it for the 960. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 16th, 2017 13:00

Billionsquid wrote:

I am currently on the 960 evo with no success at all. I will probably go and exchange it for the 960. 

The only difference is the memory type and maybe the controller slightly. If one works, so does the other. All these drives are built to industry standards. If it's not working, you likely have some other problem.

Do you have Aurora-R6 set to UEFI and RAID-Mode?

Does it appear in BIOS?

August 16th, 2017 17:00

It is in EUFI AND RAID MODE. it does. Appear on the BIOS

August 17th, 2017 08:00

Hi.

what exactly happens when you are trying to install Windows?

3 Posts

August 28th, 2017 17:00

I have similar results using CrystalDiskMark, but when trying to copy ~10000 files totaling 2GB, I only got 10MB/s transfer average in windows explorer when copying/pasting a folder on the same drive.  That seems really slow to me, but not sure what's going on given my Crystal benchmarks did show NVMe-like perf.  Any ideas?

August 28th, 2017 20:00

I finally was able to install the 960 EVO by cloning the original hard drive and its just such a great difference compared to the original Toshiba SSD. 

No Events found!