Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 20th, 2013 09:00

UPS and Pure sine wave.

A friend just got his new Aurora R4 and I advised him to get a good UPS to protect his $3000 investment. When he called Dell, they told him he "HAD" to have a pure sine wave UPS with that computer. That doesn't sound right because I have a Aurora R4 behind a Cyberpower 825AVR which is a simulated sine wave UPS and it works fine. I have 4 things plugged into the backup, computer, monitor, modem and router. When I unplug the power to the UPS, I don't get as much as a flicker from anything. That UPS also worked just fine with my XPS 435T Dell computer. Am I missing something or did the person at Dell have no idea of what he was talking about? I assume the Aurora R4s power supply is PFC like the 435T was.

Thanks.

445 Posts

June 20th, 2013 15:00

That is what I was thinking. My home theater setup now is on a surg protector. I can change the batteries when it's time and use the old one there and get a better UPS for my computer.

June 20th, 2013 10:00

Hi Wayne3842,

The only requirement to get a UPS is for it to have a greater power capacity than the PSU on your system. Go to Dell's site and search this Dell part# A5883029, it's for the US only. This UPS should be enough for your friend.

445 Posts

June 20th, 2013 11:00

Thanks Alexander. I will pass that information on to him. Your post has me thinking that my UPS is not big enough as the 825 AVR is only 425 watt so I will look into getting something bigger.

Thanks Again.

Wayne

June 20th, 2013 12:00

You're welcome Wayne!

445 Posts

June 20th, 2013 13:00

He said it was a toss up between the APC you mentioned and the Cyberpower CP1500. He chose the Cyberpower because it was a little cheaper and he liked the bigger LCD. He ordered it from Amazon and will have it next Wednesday. I will go take a look at it because it won't be too long before I will have to replace mine (31/2) years old) and will get a bigger unit than I have now. When I worked for AT&T, all our UPSs for the PBXs and data equipment were APC so I am partial to the APC brand. I bought the Cyberpower because it was all I could find local at the time.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 20th, 2013 13:00

1. A friend just got his new Aurora R4 and I advised him to get a good UPS to protect his $3000 investment.

2. When he called Dell, they told him he "HAD" to have a pure sine wave UPS with that computer.

3. That doesn't sound right because I have a Aurora R4 behind a Cyberpower 825AVR which is a simulated sine wave UPS and it works fine.

1. Good advice.

2. Pure or simulated. Most UPS makers have that these days. My APC LCD 1500 (about $200) works fine with my Aurora and my wife's XPS-410.

3. Simulated counts. I like APC, but CyberPower is suppose to be good also.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 20th, 2013 14:00

I will go take a look at it because it won't be too long before I will have to replace mine (31/2) years old) and will get a bigger unit than I have now.

While the gell-cells aren't exactly cheap, they can usually be replaced and the unit will be good for another 3-4 years. You could still buy a larger one for yourself, and move this re-conditioned smaller one to another system (or DVR, etc.).

Note: Edited

No Events found!