Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 1st, 2011 14:00

Unable to control the CPU Fan Core i7 Cooler Alienware Aurora(Runs at only 5%estiamted speed)

I have followede the below instructions to a T and  have failed at restoring the CPU FAN control in command center.

I downloaded the latest CC, reset the MIO board, updated the bios, run every diagnostic test.

The fan responds to the test, but stays in 100% power afterwards, sometimes my razer deathadder mosue looses functionality.

I know i have had functionality of the CPU fan before becuase i have screenshots of it being controllable in my CC before.

It wouldn't be an issue at this point if the fan ran at at least 45%  or something, but its running only around 5~7% now. Its running so slow that it barely keeps the CPU cool and Im worried now about playing games or rendering video that would put a massive load on the CPU.

I also seem to be unable to find the AlienwareFX tester executeable.

Is there any way to just give the fan a command to run at a fixed 50% and just leave it at that? Why am i Unable to restore the functionality to the CPU fan in CC?

In the mean time so im not so annoying to people here im going to go see what i can find in the stickies. My system is out of warrenty and I don't have any money(i just spent it on upgrades >_<).
So am i just screwed?

Desktop MIO (Master I/O) board Diagnostics
MIO Diagnostics from Bios
* Restart the PC
* Press F12 at the BIOS screen
* Cursor down to the Utility Partition [press Enter]
* Run the diagnostics on the MIO board. This will test it and sometimes reset it so that it will work the next time the Command Center is loaded fresh. Post the results
MIO Diagnostics from within windows
* Do a search for AlienwareAlienFXTester.exe and run it. Post the results

I did this and it said the test was OK.

Now im onto this.

Desktop MIO (Master I/O) board Jumper Reset
* Shut down the PC (Turn power off)
* Open the case cover and find the MIO board
* Be sure the 24 pin plug is plugged into the MIO board good and the other end of that cable plugs into the motherboard in 3 places (2 marked USB and 1 marked something else). Be sure the large 4 pin power cable is plugged into the MIO Board, and if you have a Power Supply tester, make sure it has +12v and +5v DC on it
* Using the Green jumper on the MIO board, notice what pins it's connected to now. Return the jumper to those pins when finished
* Install the jumper onto the other 2 pins
* Power the PC on for 30 seconds. If it goes into Windows, do a proper shutdown (Turn power off)
* Remove the MIO board jumper completely
* Power the PC on for 30 seconds. If it goes into Windows, do a proper shutdown (Turn power off)
* Return the MIO board jumper to the original 2 pins
* Power the PC on
* Press F12 at the BIOS screen
* Cursor down to the Utility Partition [press Enter]
* Run the diagnostics on the MIO board. This will test it and sometimes resets it so that it will work the next time the Command Center is loaded fresh
* If all test pass, boot into Windows and load the Command Center Clean

17 Posts

March 2nd, 2011 13:00

Is there really no help for this?

Is there not possible way to get my fan to go back above 1000RPM? or whatever. I really need it to the processor is hitting over 50C when i play games. I have a mini fan jerryrigged onto the radiator but its to small to make any real difference.

I really need help with this, this is the only computer I've got and theres simply no way i can replace it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 2nd, 2011 14:00

The CPU cooler and sensors are controlled by the MIO-Board, so trouble-shooting should start there.

Shut-down machine properly so it will turn off. Unplug from wall or UPS. Hold down power button for 20 seconds to dissipate any electricity in machine and MIO-Board. Wait another 20 secs before powering up. See if that very simple procedure resets MIO-Board.

Run Dell Diagnostic on the MIO-Board. This will check it and also has been known to reset it in some fashion. If it is detected and tests good, but still won't work, try re-installing the software ...

Completely Uninstall Command Center and reboot.

Install the latest Command Center (v2.6.1.0) and reboot.

Test operation.

Also see this forum "sticky":

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19338298.aspx

Aurora
------
The CPU Cooler has 2 separate cables. A larger one for the pump, and a smaller 4-pin one for the fan.
Looks like they both plug into the connector panel strip "Interior Lighting Board") that runs along the top of the Aurora.
The little 4-pin cable that comes off the top off the radiator/fan assembly ... be sure it's plugged into SYS_FAN connector (CPU_FAN is incorrect ... it will spin, but not report in CC).

In CC, "System Fan" should read around 1200 at idle
In CC, "CPU Pump" should read around 1400 at idle (or just "Running" in CC v2.6.1.0)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 2nd, 2011 14:00

Did you ever find the MIO Board "Reset Jumper" and perform those procedures?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 2nd, 2011 15:00

Configuring software for Proper Cooling

Prerequisites:
- MIO-Board must check good in Dell diagnostics (and attached sensors, fans, lights, etc).
- Clean install Command Center (Uninstall old one, reboot, Install new one, Reboot).
- Command Center and Thermal Control (sub-app) seem to start and run ok.

Go to Thermal Controls, be sure Current Profile is set to Default. Make a small change and then click SAVE. Give it a few minutes to update MIO Board. It might not hurt to do the same for the Lights.

Go to Control Panel, Power Options. Be sure the selected Profile is High Performance.

The CORRECT operation is  ... when you first turn on the machine, all the fans run at 100% for a few seconds. They should slow down to a normal level while the BIOS screen is still up. If the INCORRECT parameters are saved on the MIO-Board, the fans won't slow down until Windows (and Command Center) load completely.

Once the micro-controller based MIO-Board is programmed properly, it seems to have no problems doing it's cooling duties ... even without constant control from the OS or Command Center.

17 Posts

March 2nd, 2011 18:00

Yes, i found it after watching a tear down video and spent the next 6hours doing the reset, test, and command center install with CCleaner before installing CC.(Just as instructed on the first Post.)

I have sorta some proof that I used to be able to control the MIO board/System Fan on the Liquid coolers raditor.

Date: Nov 7th 2010

this is today March 2 2011

I guess ill just have to do it again.

As a temporary assist the little minifan i have jerryrigged into the system(Laptop cooling mat fan powered via USB Power, not pluged into the mobo at all)

When i restart the computer the Fans go to max while its rebooting but when the Alienware Head logo pops up... nevemind im going to check it again and listen to make sure.

190 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 18:00

I had the same thing when I installed the beta CC and went back to the official CC. It let me control the CPU cooler fan. After a restart it went away. What version of CC did you have ?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 3rd, 2011 19:00

Press the Updates button. It will show the version number in the Dialog Box title.

I DO NOT recommend you use that to update it though ... an un-install and clean install it better.

17 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 19:00

I dont know, I cant seem to find a single version decsription anywhere.

17 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 22:00

Version 2.6.1.0

I did clean install.

It won't let me install it until the previous Command Center is removed.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 3rd, 2011 23:00

Version 2.6.1.0
I did clean install.
It won't let me install it until the previous Command Center is removed.

Ok good ... but backing up a bit ... did you read all I posted carefully?

Especially, have you verified the connector name where the radiator fan in plugged in (SYS_FAN) ?

Does Dell Diagnostics pass the check now?

17 Posts

March 4th, 2011 00:00

Its always passed the check. The fans cable cant even physically reach the other connector plug.

And yes I read the entire thing carefully.

I did the same things reading the MIO reset instructions over and over uninstalling Ccleaner jumper reset MIO board  test, Reinstall Command center...

Is there anything else i may have missed?

The fan passes the check. So does the MIO board

The onlything that bothers me is that after a fan check the raditors fan goes to 100% and Stays at 100%.

Also ive noticed that if i unplug the fan, and clear the board of power(unplug hold Powerbuttong for 1minute) and then plug the fan back in then go to CC, it shows the System FAn as controlable, but It sits at 0% and I cant make the fan go faster.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 4th, 2011 01:00

The CPU Cooler has 2 separate cables. A larger one for the pump, and a smaller 4-pin one for the fan.

In Command Center/Thermal Controls (at idle):

"System Fan" should read around 1200 rpm
"CPU Pump" should read around 1400 rpm (or just "Running" in CC v2.6.1.0)

All Ambient Sensors should read about 27c

PCI Fan - 1600 rpm (4%)
- Ambient Sensor 2

Hard Drive Fan - 900rpm (7%)
- Ambient Sensor 1

According to Asetek demonstration, the speed of the CPU Pump is constant. I'm not sure what temp. sensor is being watched to control the speed of the System Fan (radiator fan), but it doesn't appear to be Ambient Sensor 3 ... because the temp. on it never changes (even under high stress).

Set PCI-Fan and Hard-Drive Fan to Manual, and then (inside each to "Use Curve")
- Line or arc from bottom left to top right of graph
- This should emulate "Auto" (with a little more control)

Active Thermals
Current Profile: Default

Under heavy stress, I've seen the System Fan go as high as 1800 rpm, but no single core has ever gotten hotter than 62c.

What do your sensors and fan rpms read at idle?

17 Posts

March 4th, 2011 02:00

I don't know the fan RPMs of the Hard drive and PCI fan, but The way i have them working is to essentialy create pressure and send the air through the radiator.(I understand physics, just applying what i know) I can actually feel airflow slightly out of the top of the machine.

the fan sits at 1100 RPM idle it reads around 1220 average but I thuink thats because i have that little fan tacked on in front of it. and its pushing air stronger than the Radiator fan.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

1100 - 1200 RPM ... that is all fine.

What is your CPU core temps?

http://addgadget.com/all_cpu_meter/

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I've noticed you have to push the CPU really hard before the radiator fan starts to speed up. The system doesn't seem to care until it starts getting hot.

HyperPI will max out your cores for a short test:

http://virgilioborges.com.br/hyperpi/

With HyperPI, I finally got the radiator fan to speed up to 1800-1900. No core ever got over 64c. If it works, try a longer test using: Normal, 8, 4M

17 Posts

Depends on what I'm doing.

I have Core Temp installed.
When I'm playing Prius Online TW the cores will stablize at 42~43C depending on where I'm at and doing.

But when I play vindictus the CPU heats up to over 55C

Idle depending on my room temp tends to be around 33~34

EDIT:

I had a Peek of 59C 61C 59C 59C while playing vindictus once.

No Events found!