Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

March 14th, 2013 20:00

Update ACC or Play it Safe?

Hi everyone,

I currently own an Area 51 that is running one of the older Alienware Command Centers (the one that still shows all 3 temp sensors). I'm wondering if it's worth while to upgrade the ACC to the latest version? Right now everything works fine outside of the small issues with the MIO board that never got fixed.  I heard the new one has Adrenaline which may come handy setting up a profile when playing a game. Currently every time I want to play a game I have to load ACC and change the profile to the get PCI fan pumping some air since it never changes from 1% at default..  (I wonder if there's a faster way to do this). I'm still on Windows 7 and still under an extended warranty in case there's any problems that occur during the install ( I don't anticipate any but figured it might sway your opinion).Anyone running the new version see any differences that are worth while? Or is everyone updating because they have windows 8 installed?

Let me know your thoughts,

Thanks

kiax0001

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 14th, 2013 22:00

Well, it doesn't sound like it's working so good anyway, but don't mess with it if your aren't keen on new features, messing with it, or loosing a feature. If you are running 2.5.x ... there has been many major or minor versions since yours. They are different than yours.

I'm running v2.7.25.0  on Win7-64 SP1 Ultimate on an Aurora R1. I upgraded just for stability and working (finally). Seems pretty stable to me. Adrenaline is there but I can't say I use it much. I'm just happy when the lights are the right color and my fans work properly (all without weird problems on startup or shut-down).

What version of CC are you running?

If you run AlienwareAlienFXTester.exe ... what version firmware does it say your MIO-Board is running?

49 Posts

March 15th, 2013 06:00

Thanks for the response Tesla. Ill have to confirm the version later today but I believe it's 2.52.45 or something along those lines. I do have some problems every now and again where coming out of standby the fans are full speed but its rare. On startup its usually good and same on shutdown. Fans typically behave appropriately and colors are reflected properly. I just didn't know if there are any noticeable differences with the new version outside of what sounds like stability fixes to me. Thanks, Kiax0001

49 Posts

March 16th, 2013 15:00

Update: Command Center Version says 2.5.45.0. Also I'm assuming if I decide to flash the MIO to the new version there's no going back right?

49 Posts

March 16th, 2013 15:00

Tesla,

I ran the Tester and it says current version: 1.02.04.

I also just ran into a problem where the temp readings are all saying 0. And changing fan curves have no effect. This typically happens if I keep changing profiles back and forth and forces a restart to fix the problem. Let me know how the stability is with the newest version or if there's another version you recommend.

Thanks,

kiax0001

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 16th, 2013 18:00

Update: Command Center Version says 2.5.45.0. Also I'm assuming if I decide to flash the MIO to the new version there's no going back right?

Right.

CC v2.5.x uses MIO-Board firmware v1.x . When you install v2.6.x or higher, it will flash MIO-Board to firmware v2.x.

My notes:

Completely Uninstall Command Center and reboot.

Power down, unplug the power cord from the back of your PC, then press and hold the power button down for 10 seconds to drain residual power from MIO board to further reset it and to insure a trouble-free CC install. Then, power back up and go into Windows.

Disable your Anti-Virus software.
Install the latest Command Center (for desktops) and reboot. (ie v2.6.17.0 or higher)
Note: The first time a v2.6.x version (or higher) is installed, it will upgrade the MIO-Board's firmware to v2.x
Microsoft Net 4.0 Client Framework is required for install. You can get it from Windows Update.
Test operation.

Never use the Upgrade feature inside Command Center. Always, uninstall old, reboot, install new fresh.

No Events found!