Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2011 06:00

Updated Dell nVidia driver does not work for alienware M17x -R3!

hi everyone,

I have an alienware M17X R3 with the nVidia 460 video card. I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with a 2820 i7 processor.

The 285.62, P08 driver update does NOT work! It won't install.

I unpack it as per the Dell instructions. When it runs, it comes up with the nvidia screen and says, "The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

I performed the GPU bios update as per Dell's website without any problems.

Can anyone shed light on this?!

Thank you!

14 Posts

November 14th, 2011 06:00

Does it require the vbios update for your gpu released a month or so ago?

17 Posts

November 14th, 2011 17:00

I don't know, but I've done that without any problems when it was released. I wonder if the vbios update is the root cause of this problem?

November 15th, 2011 14:00

I have been having this exact problem. My NVIDIA card is just straight up not working now, even though it says it is working properly. The drivers from NVIDIA website will not install, and when I try to automatically search for updates, it says it is up-to-date... even though it isn't. Ahhh!

November 16th, 2011 00:00

I called up alienware and they said that nVidia is launching new updates for alienware (through the dell website though) so as to optimize the 460M with the current motherboard...

There seems to be some way you can get 275.33 from - forum.techinferno.com/.../636-new-nvidia-driver-275-33-whql.html

November 16th, 2011 20:00

User Sajin1337 has been trying to sell "driver fixes" via friending people on the Dell Community and asking them to set up a paypall account. PLEASE BAN THIS USER!!

17 Posts

November 16th, 2011 23:00

Thanks for the update andersonpaac.Dell Technicians don't seem to know anything about it when talking with them. They (Dell) keep suggesting that we do a clean install of Windows with the drivers that came with the system. With all these people experiencing issues, I hope they get a fix out soon.

November 17th, 2011 06:00

Don't pay for any "fix" or service or information that is and should be free online. Getting harassed via email by people trying to "help" is not cool.

2 Posts

November 17th, 2011 08:00

my install of the Dell 285 drivers worked just fine on M17xR3......same specs as yours :).......but WITHOUT doing the vbios update

17 Posts

November 17th, 2011 18:00

Apparently, according to other forums, the only way to fix this issue is to use some modified drivers which have been posted around.

1 Message

January 25th, 2012 14:00

I struggled with the same problem for several days with the M17x R3 I just bought.  It too has the Nvidia GeForce 460M  video card, and is running Win 7 64 bit. When I used the autodetect tool, the Nvidia site told me to download the driver directly from Compal.  The Compal site is NOT consumer friendly.  I never found the driver that I need.  In fact, I'm not even sure who Compal is, or why they are involved.

I finally found a reference to a 290.53 version of the driver on another notebook forum site.  I downloaded the driver directly from Nvidia, and the 290.53 driver installed perfectly and the card now works just fine.

The driver can be downloaded from the Nvidia site, but you won't find it if you use the search tool.  Instead, browse to the page that lists All Nvidia Drivers.  Don't use the search tool.  Scroll down the page and select Option 3, Verde 290.53 beta for notebook GPUs.  Once you reach the driver download page, you'll see that it indeed supports the 460M.  Here is the direct link for the Win 7 64 bit version.  It's also available in 32 bit flavor:

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/40617

Not sure why this driver doesn't show up on the search tool.  Good luck.  I hope that this saves someone else the countless hours that I spent troubleshooting this problem.  :-(

No Events found!