Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2013 14:00

Upgrading my Alienware M17xR4 with SSD

Hello!

I have Alienware M17xR4 with two hdd's (2x500GB) in RAID 0.

I would like to replace one of 500GB hdd to 256GB SSD (Crucial M4).

I've made a recovery image with AlienRespawn and tried to restore all factory programs on SSD but unsuccessful, got error size of your hard drive is not supported, you need at least GB (was written just "GB"). Before I changed RAID to AHCI in BIOS and loaded respawn image from USB stick.

Then I replaced back SSD with original HDD. So I'm back to RAID 0 with 2 hdd's.

After searching on different forums found that respawn image can't be restored on smaller size hard drive and also found SSD means clean windows install.

My question is - how to get back after clean windows installation all my original programs and themes which came from factory with my laptop?

Can I download AlienRespawn later on my new SSD with clean windows install.? Where to download my original Alienware theme?

Read somewhere that can be following problem - "AlienRespawn cannot be installed because your hard drive does not have a backup copy of your factory image."

Would be great to have boot SSD drive and 500GB hdd as storage drive, but I would like to have all my original software back.

February 13th, 2013 11:00

Hello,

Sure you can recover Respawn after a clean OS installation
Simply follow these steps:

Clean install Windows on the SSD, this other article shows you how to install the drivers   in the correct order.

Once that's settled. Download the Alienware softwarethemes and wallpapers.

Before you add any other program or game, install Alien Respawn. That will create a new recovery partition and you're all set.

Let me know how it goes.

500 Posts

February 9th, 2013 19:00

I apologize but this may be a short answer. I do not have the time necessary for a lot of info to be posted right now, but I will post later when I get the chance.

Here is a tip:

First...BACKUP EVERYTHING IMPORTANT. Never leave anything to chance. Saved games, documents, pictures, browser bookmarks. Etc.

Second...use windows disk manager to shrink the current primary drive size down to the size of the SSD and then have both drives inserted into the system and simply clone the HDD onto the SSD.

Third...Swap the drives into correct bays and reformat the old HDD as needed for your own purposes. Most likely for data backup as you suggested.

Hope this helps :)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 13th, 2013 09:00

I shrinked my hdd as much as I could but it's still not enough. From 1 TB I could shrink it to 500 GB. Again made image, replaced one of the hdd's (bay 1) to ssd 9256 GB) and tried to restore image. Result is the same "Size of your hard drive is not supported".

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 13th, 2013 13:00

Thank you for answer. I'll try to make it.

500 Posts

February 13th, 2013 20:00

Hope it all works well for you. The sooner it gets done, the sooner you can get to enjoying your SSD.

I prefer cloning myself, as it avoids time for reinstalling, but it is good to clean install because it can help start things fresh, much the same reason its good to do a fresh reinstall once a year, for the sake of reducing clutter and other hassles. I, myself, and in the process of backing up files for a clean refresh of my system. I do too much stuff on my system, from programming to gaming to random web browsing, and all the different things I get running on my system get it so cluttered that its nice to start new once in a while.

Good Luck, and thanks for verifying Kanndy's answer :) It helps up make sure that things are getting resolved :D

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 14th, 2013 10:00

Hello!

Now I have another problem  My Dell Downloads give me message "Service Tag is not supported". I get this message when pushing "Register system" button.

February 14th, 2013 14:00

Hi Reggie,

The servers might be down right now. Please try again later!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 22nd, 2013 15:00

Pretty sure you can only use AlienRespawn if you previously used it to restore the machine and the Dell Recovery partition is still there.

AlienRespawn doesn't really have a purpose any more because you lost the original factory Restore Partition (when you swapped HDD for SSD). Now, you use Windows System Image Backup, Acronis, or something similar.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2013 15:00

Hi!

Now I have problems installing Alienrespawn.

I made a clean installation of windows on new SSD.

Installed all drivers in correct order.

Made windows updates.

Installed Alienware programs from my Dell downloads.

Installed Alienrespawn, it starts installation, ask to restart and after restart give me message "The disk is full" and offer to deinstall itself. But the disk is not full, there's 201 GB free.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2013 06:00

I don't know if there's easier way to do this but I did install AlienRespawn and I did create a recovery partition. So now I can tell that you are wrong, it is possible again to use AlienRespawn after loosing a recovery partition.

15 Posts

October 19th, 2013 04:00

Hi,

is it also easy you describe with an DELL Precision M4800 (original 500GB HDD with win7pro and Office2013)? I would like to clone this to a 256GB SSD.

I will try this with Acronis and this universal restore pack...

Is it possible to clone this dell recovery partition or not?? On my System there is an dell partition FAT16 i saw and a C:\ with the Windows Installation.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 26th, 2013 09:00

Hi,

I didn't clone my HDD. Just replaced it with SSD and made clean installation of windows.

I had AlienRespawn installation file which I used to install it on my new SSD.

To clone your HDD should be easier than the way I did it.

If you have installation file of office then you can use my way if not then cloning HDD is the only way which I know.

No Events found!