Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2013 22:00

Webcam is not working in my new Alienware 17

I bought the laptop like 1 month ago, and it has worked well. But, the problem is that the webcam doesn't appear.

When I try to call someone on skype, it says that I don't have any webcam. I tried looking in the device manager, but nothing related to the webcam appears there!!

please, I neeeeeed help!! I tried looking for solutions, but there only appear things about the R4 and previous versions, which say that using Fn+F9 you can solve it, but it doesn't work in the same way in the new Alienware 17.

September 3rd, 2013 23:00

Hi ErickAlexander3,

You can try and update the BIOS to the latest version and check if it starts detecting in the device manager. It should be listed under Imaging Devices or Other Devices. To download the BIOS of Alienware 17, click here.

For instructions on how to update the BIOS, watch this video here.

Hope this helps.

September 4th, 2013 13:00

Thanks for answering. I updated the BIOS but the camera is still not recognized. I don't know what else to do :(

September 4th, 2013 21:00

Hi ErickAlexander3,

If your webcam is still not getting detected, then seems to be some issue with the webcam itself. Try pressing the bezel around the webcam to see if it works. in case there is a loose connection. You can also click on my name and then on start a conversation and send me your contact details, email address, Service Tag or the Express Service Code of the computer and the Name of the account holder under whom the computer is registered. I can help you in getting the the webcam replaced.

I will review your details first and keep you updated about the progress.

Note: Do not reply here with your personal info on the open forum. Send it to me via Private Message by clicking on Start Conversation.

September 4th, 2013 22:00

Aren't there any drivers to download or any software tool to check what is going on? The thing is that I'm outside the US so it would take me a long time to replace the camera. That's why I wanna be sure if it's an issue related to the webcam itself.

September 4th, 2013 23:00

Hi ErickAlexander3,

Well the webcam not getting detected in the Device Manager itself is a proof that it is not working. Webcam is a plug and play device, meaning that it can install itself upon getting detected. It doesn't need any drivers. 

Here is a link which you can visit to test your webcam. If it works here then I believe there is some issue with Windows and if it does not work, then we can consider it replacing once you are back in the United States. 

Regret any inconvenience you must be facing for the webcam.

September 5th, 2013 02:00

I tried pressing the bezel around the camera as you said, I heard some low cracks but the camera was still not recognized. I tried skyping later, and now my microphone is not working too!! Windows recognizes it, since it appears in the Skype audio option.

It seems that your "solution" worsen the problem...

September 5th, 2013 02:00

Hi ErickAlexander3,

Well, microphone is a part of the webcam. It is an integral part of it. If the webcam does not work then the microphone would also not work. For instance if your microphone goes bad and webcam works, then we would have to replace the webcam assembly for microphone to get working. In short, both webcam and microphone are as a same part together.

It is now confirmed that the issue is hardware oriented (probably loose connection) and we can get the webcam and microphone assembly replaced once you are in the United States.

September 9th, 2013 23:00

Hi ErickAlexander3,

I am still looking into the request for the support in Ecuador. Meanwhile, could you please private message me your contact details like your name, phone number (primary and alternate), email address and the physical address where you reside along with the zip code, city, country etc.

To send a private message, click on my name and then click on start a conversation.

Once you send the details, I will reach out to the concerned department and try and get this done. However, I will keep you posted about the status here on the forum.

Appreciate your co-operation.

No Events found!