hindesite
3 Silver

RE: Windows 10, Memory leaks, solved, Alienware 17-R3

Thanks for the writeup Hindesite, I landed on this page because I'm suffering exactly the same problem that you described with the same model Alienware.

I'm just about to have a look at your suggested fix...I thought I'd chime in to this thread as you seem to be getting excessive abuse for trying to help frustrated users like myself.  

I'm used to it, it goes with the territory. People who don't have the problem don't believe it exists; those that do have it may not have found this post yet; and then there are those who don't read (or understand) the full post and feel compelled to contribute anyway. And there is also the humour impaired, but humour often doesn't work on the Internet anyway, where not everybody uses the same first language. Easier to assume the OP is just stupid :-)

I would also describe this problem as a memory leak and I don't think a modern operating system should require regular reboots to work properly.  I could easily go a month or more on Windows 7 without a problem and my Linux boxes probably go more than 6 months!  

I'd been getting well over 6 months from my Windows 7 desktop (which is too old to update to Windows 10) and years from my Linux systems - partly because by diligent troubleshooting, and a bit of research, you don't generally have to reboot (even if blindly doing so is easier).

Regular reboots on Windows 10 machines are enforced by Windows update anyway....Although it may not be a coincidence that my Windows 10 machine that gets the least use is the one with the problem.

Anyway, I'll report back here if my fix turns out to be the same or similar to your write up.

Thanks

IR

Appreciate hearing how you get on, hope my post does help. Took a little bit of time to figure out what was going on.

0 Kudos
hindesite
3 Silver

I had the exact same issue with an Area 51 R2.  I could not go 24 hours without hitting 98% used RAM.  Sometimes within 6 hours.  I finally did a full format and reinstall of Win 10.  The issue has not recurred.  

I now have win 10 on a USB drive.  All the Dell downloads for my machine on another drive and rdy if it happens again.

Thanks for your comment, but I flat out do not accept a complete re-installation of Windows as a solution to this problem, when I already showed the solution in detail in my post. I'd be interested in whether the contents of my post would have helped you; it would certainly have been quicker than re-installing Windows.

Re-installing Windows may be necessary at times, but doing so for every little glitch or problem is madness and completely unacceptable IMHO. It is sad that the market expectations of OS performance is so incredibly low.

PCs should at this stage be more reliable than phones and tablets (and, generally, they are, when not running Windows).

0 Kudos
DrIronRod
1 Copper

Sorry for the long gap before updating on this. My problem could indeed be fixed with hindesite's suggestion of disabling the IP Helper service. When I first looked at the issue, the misbehaving svchost.exe process was increasing page file space (commit memory) at a steady rate of 200k per second.  For my setup which has a hard 16Gb limit on the page file (it's on its own partition to prevent file fragmentation), this equates to approximately 22 hours before all the page file was consumed.

I ran the laptop for a few days with the service disabled and the misbehaving svchost.exe process did not  continue consuming all the page file. Buoyed by the result I went a bit further and started updating drivers and software to see if I could permanently fix the problem....I started with the Dell update software, which has never run properly on my machine. That didn't fix it so I ran the update software to try to get everything up-to-date. The update service bought down a new bios, chipset driver and Dell foundations services. This still didn't fix it.

Since the IP Helper service is a network related service (allows tunneling of IPv6 through IPv4 in some fashion)  I thought I'd have a cracking at updating the Killer Network drivers. This has meant uninstalling the Dell certified ones and installing the latest drivers from Killer's website.  I've been meaning to do this for a while because the Dell issued drivers are getting pretty old now. Unfortunately this still didn't fix it.

So almost giving up, I thought I'd update the Nvidia drivers to the latest ones from Nvidia (same issue with old Dell drivers). Bizarrely this is the point that the problem went away. I don't know if it was just a combination of bad drivers that finally flushed through after installing the latest Nvidia drivers. I rebooted between each paragraph above so I know that it was the Nvidia drivers that caused the change but I'm at a bit of a loss to explain why.

I did all of this on 20th October and have seen no problems since then.  I've got the IP Helper service enabled again and since the 20th I've done a couple of windows updates and I think I updated lightroom. The problem with the page file does appear to be fixed.

I hope this is of some help to anyone else suffering from this problem...given the slightly odd solution I've held off reposting incase the problem returned.  Looking good at the moment though. I guess it's a shame Dell are so slow with their driver updates.  I also wonder if this problem hasn't been more widely recognised because not that many people have a top limit on or fixed size page file?

0 Kudos
hindesite
3 Silver

Thanks for the update, good to know my post was of some help despite the forum's less informed reaction to it.

I suspect that in general people don't have long uptimes on their systems, due to windows updates or just how they use them (and I see one comment that indicated very low expectations when it comes to uptimes anyway).

I've left IPHelper service not started, so I don't know if recent driver updates have fixed it (to my mind, the less running, the better, anyway) but for some reason my system has reverted back to the Dell Nvidia drivers so I'll need to run DDU before trying the Nvidia drivers again.

I'm happy with how things are going at the moment, so may not update for a while.

0 Kudos
dbrewster
2 Iron

Thx for the heads up on IP Helper.  I'll fly out and assist u with The memory cleanup.. There's a special on Dyson Vacs.

0 Kudos
eldersha
1 Copper

Go to Network and Sharing Center in control panel and opt out of the homegroup. That should fix memory leak for now until problem is hopefully resolved by future windows updates.

0 Kudos
hindesite
3 Silver

Go to Network and Sharing Center in control panel and opt out of the homegroup. That should fix memory leak for now until problem is hopefully resolved by future windows updates.

Not seeing how this is relevant or even good advice.

No Homegroup.png

0 Kudos
ViliVilperi
1 Copper

Hello. I have this same issue that iphelper is using huge amount of memory and increasing all time. BUT im not using alienware. I have acer predator with same components that u got. My question is, how u disable it ? I find out how to stop it but every time i restart it will open again and i need to stop it again.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

Thanks for posting.

I think this is a welcome change:

Windows 10 build 14942 splits up service hosts

techreport.com/.../windows-10-build-14942-splits-up-service-hosts

Also ...

I've found that even on systems with a lot of memory, I do NOT disable the virtual memory paging file. Systems seem to work with System Managed, but I prefer Custom on C: SSD. Either way, I just recommend still using one.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
BrattGuy
1 Copper

I want to say that the humor is appreciated with me.   Thank you for it.   I just purchased an Alienware 17 R4 with the 3x display and GTX 1070 GPU. This is a great Laptop with so much potential.  Seeing how I have only had this system just over a month now and paid a big chunk of coins for this was expecting to not be having similar issues you had had with your device.  

1. Dell put in a 128 hard drive was hoping I was getting the 250 memory hard drive for windows 10 operating system.  I've been hit with some difficulties trying to work around the small OS (CSmiley Happy hard drive and a 1 TB slower hard drive(DSmiley Happy. I have set my system up to place the bulk of data on the larger hard drive, and thought I had set it up to place all win store apps on the D: for data Drive yet it seems that windows does not want to do this and is constantly trying to fill up the C drive with these store Apps.  Since I've made this change using the win store settings I've found that the same service host file is using sometimes 67% of my 16 GBs of Dramm. I purchased Graes of war 4 xbox anywhere (?I think that's its name) I wanted to get the disk but seems disk are mostly for console systems not PC.  The download of that software the first and only time I've experienced the 3 week task of downloading 90+ GBs (felt like I was back in the 90's)

1a. Windows store downloaded about 30 GBs of the software in packages and then stopped with a critical error saying I ran out of resources and it was unable to complete the download.  I experienced this endless loop 3-4 times till I found out that I needed to change where windows 10 stored the apps on my computer.

This was when I found out I needed to change the Storage device in Settings-System- Storage from C: to D:.  I thought that I had found the solution and I did. I was able to download the entire Gears of War 4 software and was able to do it while visiting my Mothers for Christmas. Was quite happy to find that her internet was far faster than mine and got the entire program in 2 days not weeks.  All was well n good till the game needed an update package to run come Jan 11th.  I've been trying to figure out why Win Store is wanting to use the C drive for the update software. Now I am back to where I was before....

2.  Dell and Alienware must be aware of this issue and if not than I hope people find out about this before they buy a system with a small OS drive.  There are work rounds that I am finding where you can set your drives up to act as one hard drive yet that looks like it might lead to losing the advantages of having a faster drive for the OS. I've not done this for I think I'll have to reinstall the entire system.   These issues would be nice to be aware of before investing so much of my money and time on a new computer.   A note by the sales person to ask how a person would like the drives to be set up be a welcomed part of the sales process. The reason I did not go out and build my own computer laptop is so I would not have to deal with these type of issues and am quite disappointed that they have not been looked at and addressed by both Dell and windows when recommending such setups. Is that not what they are selling a product that will work in good order from out of the box?

3.  I know that the Alienware 17 R4 is a newer system with the newer GPU gtx10 series. Yet 16 GBs is showing to be too little memory to be able to use this laptop and not experience drag time.    All that said your research and help with work arounds I hope will prove to work for my memory leakage. Thank you for placing it here.

0 Kudos