Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 24th, 2015 23:00

Windows 10 on Aurora R3

Can Dell/Alienware please confirm if the Free Windows 10 Upgrade I received will be ok to install on my system?

I have an Alienware Aurora R3 with Windows 7 OS.

Windows 10 launches 7/29/15 and I have my copy reserved and would like to know if I'm going to be Ok.
Windows 10 confirmation shows that they found no issues with my system and Windows 10 should work and will download to my system when available, but I would like to know before trying to install.

568 Posts

August 2nd, 2015 03:00

Babysitting the install after first reboot when the big progress white circle starts, thereafter each time it reboots, Hard power off while the BIOS or RAID stuff is shown. The first time is around 30% after Copying files, the second time is 60/70% after Installing Programs.

Don't forget to resolve warm restart problems:

1. Renesas Integrated USB 3.0, v.2.0.4.0, A00

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails;osCode=W764&fileId=2731116122

2. Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, v.9.2.0.1015, A00

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails;osCode=W764&fileId=2731115303

Today after powering on I had Fans at 100% and stuck at 55% after playing with thermal controls. Searched for potential solutions which pointed to draining power (unplug system and 20 seconds pushing the power button) cleaning out dust near the MIO board and installing R4 CC instead of the R3 CC.

I did the first two with no difference, when I came to reinstalling R4 CC I decided to reinstall R3 CC. Upon ready to uninstall it proposed to uninstall or repair, so I repaired. All seemed back to order so I rebooted and still seems fixed.

August 13th, 2015 17:00

Download/install this Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 driver once you get windows 10 on.  Doing so made my computer be able to perform a restart without locking up.

September 25th, 2015 02:00

Finally after weeks of failed attempts to install Win 10. I studied all attempts other Aurora R3 owners have tried. This is what worked for me without incident.

1. Perform the Win 10 update as the Win 10 app thing informs you do.

2. At every restart, (that means warm reboot where the power stays on but the PC resets itself), you MUST instantly Hold the On/Off Power button on top of your Aurora R3 case down until it powers off completely.

3. Turn power back by pressing On/Off Power button.

4. Go get a beer and sit back and wait until first restart. Have finger poised on On/Off Power button. As soon as the computer restarts. This is obvious as the Dell BIOS logo appears quite fast. Same again. Power off. Hold it down. It might take a few seconds but it will power off.

5. Power on again. Do this for the next several restarts, approx. 3 I think as by then I'd had about 4 beers I think. And do this until you finally get to 100% and you are entering Win 10 welcome screen etc... It will take your time so be vigilant and watch the progress bar and keep finger ready on On/Off button.

6. I did this multiple times and was able to nail the last attempt and finally get into Win 10. Once in Win 10 there will be a heap of updates and downloads going on. Let them complete. 

7. Once your system is happy DOWNLOAD the Renesas USB driver update from Intel via the link posted above from markimusprime. My Alienware Aurora R3 has no problem rebooting now. Before the USB driver update my PC would freeze exactly the same way as it did when trying to install Win 10. This is simply the problem with our motherboard. The USB 3.0 driver was causing the system to not reboot without total power off first. Dell needs to post the latest Renesas driver on their website for all Aurora R3 owners.

8. Enjoy Win 10 and awesome DivX 12 :)

9. Thank Markimusprime also !!

12 Posts

December 6th, 2016 20:00

Oh the bios alone doesn't fix the fan issue.. you need my a07 plus the CC for the R4 and your issues are fixed for good.

It really is sad that dell couldn't assign someone 30mins of time to do what I did....

Over the years, about 200+ people have emailed me for my version of the a06 which I renamed to a07

and they have had flawless results.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 27th, 2015 07:00

Hello, 

The Windows 10 update should be compatible with your system. However, you may have to acquire the system drivers from the original manufacturer or use the Windows 7 drivers which might work fine with Windows 10. This is something you will be able to confirm after doing the update.  

15 Posts

July 29th, 2015 00:00

Thank you Sir.

Updating to Win10 tonight.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 29th, 2015 12:00

You're very welcome. 

Before doing the Windows 10 update. Please follow the steps below to avoid possible driver issues. 

- Run all Windows updates
- Make sure BIOS is up to date 
- Update the NVIDIA or AMD drivers to the latest on the website
- Disable Secure Boot from the BIOS (To access the Bios, tab the F2 button when you turn on the system, when you are in the Bios screen, go to the Boot menu on the top and look for the Secure Boot option and disable it)

Let us know if you require further assistance. 

15 Posts

July 30th, 2015 23:00

I hit F2 and I could not find the "Secure Boot" option from the Boot Tab section...
Am I looking at the wrong screen? 

I'm running A06 Bios for the Aurora R3

July 31st, 2015 18:00

I have tried 6 times now to do the windows 10 upgrade on my aurora R3.  I have got to the point where I have unplugged all hard drives internally minus the main disk, unplugged all hardware except keyboard and mouse and uninstalled all software that could be interfering.  Each time I do the upgrade the computer makes me RE-downlad the win 10 upgrade package then it lets me accept the terms, My computer restarts.  I am told that this will take a while and my computer may reboot several times and I should sit back and relax.  the computer gets to about 30 percent and does a reboot,  the windows 10 boot animation flutters for a few moments then freezes at which point the alien fx lights on my Tower begin to slowly shift.  I have let this frozen screen stay on ranging from 10 minutes to overnight but it never goes away.  A hard reboot will initiate a screen that says "returning to my original version of windows" or something to that effect and my computer is luckily restored to windows 7 with no problems.

1 Message

July 31st, 2015 18:00

I had the same issue and found the answer on various sites including Windows 10. For some reason, the R3 in not playing nice with restarts in this upgrade... HOWEVER

When you are doing the install of Windows 10, when you get to that 30% mark on the copying of files, when the system goes to restart..... DO A HARD SHUT DOWN on your computer. Give it a minute then start, The install will continue as normal.

Repeat the same with the next restart after the apps install section.

The Final section should be fine without hard shut down.

I did this and am working just fine on Windows 10 (Alienware R3). Keep in mind though the ONLY downside to this install, is never use "restart" again. Just shut your computer down and restart.

Me personally I can live with this.

Good Luck!

July 31st, 2015 20:00

I found the same info thanks.  I followed the steps of shutting down at the 30% reboot waiting 10 seconds and turning back on.  I did not know if this was also needed at the 50% reboot but I did it anyway just in case and then I think I might have done it again at around 75% but I don't remember for sure.  THIS WORKED and I am now typing this from windows 10.  I did have one more hiccup when I went to update the display driver and rebooted after that I had the same hangup but luckily one more hard reboot and I was back into windows 10.  thanks guys.  hopefully Microsoft will work with dell to make this install go easier for other alienware owners because I was ready to switch to an apple.

15 Posts

August 2nd, 2015 02:00

Thanks for this Information guys.

I will soon upgrade to Win 10 and report back here if this method worked...

Thanks

98 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 19:00

markburv do you have the fans rev on boot/reboot 3 to 4 times until you are on desktop and command center has loaded? 

I know on power up on Windows 7 the system would roar once but lights and fans were normal after that first power on high rev.  Windows 10 though it revs 3-4 times until you are logged in and the command center has loaded, it also no does a high rev on shutdown.  Other then these new high rev moments on startup/shutdown everything else seems fine.

568 Posts

August 4th, 2015 00:00

Yes it revs a few times after opening my session up until the CC loads

3 Posts

August 10th, 2015 10:00

Never, Never, Never will I buy another Alienware or Dell computer.  I'm done.  There are so many other alternatives out there, some at much less cost.  To pay as much as I did for my R3, and then see some of these answers indicating compatibility with Windows 10 when there is a very well known issue with the bios preventing compatibility, is simply beyond words.  I have never been satisfied with the tech support from "Dell/Alien" - but this takes the cake. It is my understanding same thing happened with Windows 8.1 upgrade, yet neither Dell or Microsoft has seemed to care.  I'm staying with Windows 7.  I cancelled my level 2 tech support call over the weekend because I'm unwilling to put an operating system on my computer that has so quickly demonstrated that it must be forced on, and then can't be managed to prevent installation of bad patches.  What a crock.

No Events found!