Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

July 21st, 2017 18:00

Windows 7 / 10 installation problem

My stock hard drive has crashed and I bought a compatible Samsung SSD as a replacement. At first I tried installing windows 10 and at the installation progress page the process would freeze and not continue for hours. I tried installing Windows 7 instead and got the same problem. All installation attempts were doing using a USB and I tried installing Ubuntu which was successful. I even installed Linux Mint which was successful and they were all done using the same USB. 

Can someone please tell me how I might go about fixing this and would a cmos battery in need of replacing possibly be the reason for this? 

53 Posts

July 22nd, 2017 00:00

I remember one time when I had to disconnect my PC from the router completely to get any further in a Win 7 installation ...

Try to unplug all hardware that isn't absolutely necessary. If you are using WiFi, consider to switch to a LAN cable for the installation.

CMOS battery should not be an issue, because a as long as you don't disconnect your computer from power, the settings won't be lost, even without the battery.

July 22nd, 2017 04:00

Hi.

try Clear CMOS so your System forgets the old Secure Boot Settings. then make sure AHCI and Secure Boot is enabled in your BIOS Settings.

befor you install Windows 10 pick UEFI USB Flash from the Boot List.

during Installation delete all Partitions from the SSD and click new. Windows Setup will inform you about additional Partitions it will create. click Ok and install Windows.

i hope it works this Way.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 22nd, 2017 11:00

What exact model Alienware? Is this just a standard SATA3/600 based SSD?

See this:

July 22nd, 2017 14:00

It's a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA III SSD

No Events found!