Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 14th, 2013 10:00

Windows 7 Repair Kit for M14x?

I have recently replaced my old hard drive (came with the computer already installed) with a hard drive from an HP laptop. Now, I can get online and use my computer, but its all HP oriented. The display is messed up because the resolution isn't the same. I have factory reset but it just resets it back to HP. I can't access alien respawn for obvious reasons and would like to just clear it out with the OS Repair disks. How do I get them?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 14th, 2013 16:00

If your computer came with Windows 7 64bit, just clean install Windows 7 (with the Dell Win-7 DVD that came with machine), load drivers (in proper order for your machine).

Create your own recovery Image with Windows 7 Backup Imaging, or something like Acronis.

If you lost your Dell OEM Win-7 DVD, you can call Dell, and they can send you another one. It should auto-Activate (be legit) or you might have to use the key from the CoA sticker on machine.

February 14th, 2013 11:00

Hello,

I would delete all the partitions, do a Clean Windows 7 installation (You can download the iso) and load the updated drivers for M14X R1.

Also you can use a 3rd party program like paragon or acronis to create an image of your system and store it in an external HDD, then once your HP HDD is installed, use it to restore your OS onto it.

Or you can make an alienrespawn USB, put the HP HDD in and just boot from the USB. It will recreate the recovery partition and factory restore everything.

Good luck!

Note: if you’re still under warranty, send us an email to awsocialmedia@dell.com and we’ll review your case.

14 Posts

February 14th, 2013 14:00

Okay, I downloaded the Iso for Windows 7 and have the drivers downloaded. Both on an external HDD. I see that you put an alternative restore option with AlienRespawn. However, I am a bit hazy on how exactly to 'boot' from AlienRespawn.

14 Posts

February 14th, 2013 15:00

The only problem with that is that the entire reason for this is because my Original HDD is no longer working. So step one is not feasable :( is there any other way to create a recovery partition?

February 14th, 2013 15:00

Perfect,

Now this is what you have to do:  

1-      Install your original HDD and use AlienRespawn to create a recovery partition in the external HDD.

2-      Swap the HDDs back again and perform a clean windows 7 installation using the iso you downloaded (drivers are not needed). When you’re done with the installation instead of installing the drivers, download AlienRespawn here.

3-      Use respawn to restore your entire system from the external HDD

Now your HP HDD should have all the information and programs that your original HDD had. 

No Events found!