Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2013 07:00

Windows 8 disk for x51?

I just bought an x51 and getting a SSD to replace the existing the HDD. My SSD (also ordered from Dell) is arriving today so I am looking to do a clean install of Windows 8 onto the SSD.

My question is, where is the Windows 8 CD?

I went through the clean install for Windows 7 on my ALienware laptop so I know the process. The Windows 7 DVD was included with the laptop but I do not see it for the x51.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

May 30th, 2013 08:00

Hi Ulf-5,

New system are not shipped with discs. You can create System Recovery Discs with Alien Autopsy which you can later use to re-install the operating system on your computer. Re-installing Windows using the Recovery Discs would not require a product key.

Hope this information helps.

4 Posts

May 30th, 2013 09:00

DELL - Appu S,

Please confirm that your suggestion works for a an clean/new install of Windows 8 onto a new SSD that will replace the HDD in the x51 that came with Windows 8 preinstalled.

I do not believe that what you suggest will work when it is used on a drive that will replace the existing drive.

4 Posts

May 30th, 2013 11:00

Dell Computer, no response to my followup question?

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

Hi Ulf-5,

Regret the inconvenience. Could not respond immediately as had some work backlog. A conventional hard drive has different technology compared to SSD. The user created recovery disc may not work with SSD. You would need the OEM disc to install Windows on SSD.

4 Posts

So how do I get the OEM disk when Dell does not provide it?

83 Posts

May 30th, 2013 12:00

just call them up and request it .... I had to   u paid for the OS  to come with your system and expect the backup media aswell.. anyway ..

even so the respawn is useless  if you replace drive unless its same drive of same size ect.. since its setup for such

May 31st, 2013 07:00

So how do I get the OEM disk when Dell does not provide it?

Send us an e-mail to AWSocialMedia@dell.com with your service tag and a brief description of the issue and I'll make sure you get the disc you need.

1 Message

April 16th, 2014 20:00

So Ulf-5, did you finally get that installation disc?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 6th, 2014 04:00

I bought alienware x51 r2 with windows 8. For some reason I had to reinstall Windows. I installed my own licensed copy, and now I can`t create factory recovery disk. Can anyone share that disk and give me link please.

1 Message

January 16th, 2016 08:00

I emailed the person above as well.  We had to replace the Hard Drive in the Alienware x51 - and cannot proceed without the Win 8 disk..  Could you please advise?   My son really needs to get his computer going soon - he has been using my laptop to get things done at school.

No Events found!