Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 19th, 2014 01:00

X51, Internal hard disk not found

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME

I tried to boot up my Alienware X51 but while booting up it keeps freezing and rebooting until it came to this"Internal Hard disk not found press F1.... Etc".  I have no idea what to do someone out there please help me

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 19th, 2014 08:00

Sounds like the drive might be intermittently failing. If under warranty, Dell will replace it. Contact Dell support in your region (Singapore).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 19th, 2014 12:00

boot up my Alienware X51 ... until it came to this"Internal Hard disk not found press F1.... Etc".  

When x51-R1 was released (long before current x51-R2) many users reported this problem. I don't think Dell ever officially said what was causing it. I always felt it was something basic like maybe the "short custom" hard-drive cables were defective.

When you get this message, see if the hard-drive can be detected in BIOS. If not, I would first check cables (try re-seating them and make sure they are making good contact). You might even want to install standard after-market ones. Maybe get a local friend or PC tech to help you. Machine should also pass Hard-Drive ePSA test (outside of Windows).

March 19th, 2014 15:00

Instead of selecting F12 try selecting F8. This should allow you to choose the option for Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking. Safe Mode will load all of the necessary drivers needed for you computer to start. If Safe Mode will not load, you can try using your Windows 7 CD/DVD to repair any issues. You can place the disk into the CD/DVD drive, press F12 when the computer starts, and select the option for CD/DVD. You will be given a prompt to press any key and then the CD will load. Instead of selecting Install, select Repair and windows will search for and try to repair the issue. If windows is not able to find the "Windows" installation on Drive C: you will have to reinstall windows onto your computer.

If you have files that you don't want to lose, you can download and install Fedora onto a USB flash drive, insert the USB into your computer, start the computer and using F12, select the option for USB and Fedora will start. You will have an option to "Try" Fedora and this is the one you want to select. Once fedora is installed, let me know and we can proceed from there. The site to download Fedora is http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora.

March 19th, 2014 06:00

What operating system do you have installed (Windows XP, Vista, 7 or something different?

When was the last time your computer started without any issues?

Did you add / remove any hardware / software prior to your computer not booting?

Did you notice any other changes prior to your computer not booting?

If you have a windows operating system, you can select F8  while the computer is starting in order to get to the advanced start up menu. From there you can select the option for Safe Mode and the system will load only the necessary drivers for your computer. Then you can sign in using your user name / password (if you have one) and remove any new software that you may have installed. You can also select Safe Mode with networking and this will allow you to get on the internet. You can then browse to the Dell or Microsoft website and research to find out why your computer is not loading normally.

Another option outside of running the computer in safe mode is to select Last Known Good Configuration and this will allow your computer to start from the last point it worked properly.

6 Posts

March 19th, 2014 07:00

It stated

Please select boot device 

UEFI: ST31000524ANS

UEFI: ST31000524ANS

Enter setup

Enter ePSA

Use arrow keys to move selection

Enter to select boot device

ESC to boot using defaults 

6 Posts

Thank you for such a detailed reply and the system which i have is windows 7. I did try to read the dell support page but their instructions did not match what was happening in my system. The last time it had the issues were a few months ago but it was not as major as what was happening now because I had to reboot it a few times before it started working properly so I did not take much attention to it. But as I feared the situation grew worse. I do recall changing to navida processor to something else but soon I started getting random computer freeze so soon after i changed it back and the freeze still won't go away.Before my computer started getting the 'internal hard disk drive not found' error ,whenever I boot up my computer and start to play games it will keep freezing. It even freezes if I am doing nothing on the computer.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

* Restart / Power on your computer
* At the first text on the screen or when the Dell logo appears, tap F12
* What is listed there?

6 Posts

Yes UEFI is indeed chosen

6 Posts

Alright thank you so much Chris and destiny_Integration for your help. Really apreciate it

6 Posts

Alright thank you al much Chris and destiny_Integration for your help. Really apreciate it

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

* Restart / Power on your computer
* At the first text on the screen or when the Dell logo appears, tap until the message Entering Setup appears
* Boot Mode will be listed under Boot -> Boot Priority
* Press Enter on Boot Mode and the System Setup will display a warning message about changing the Boot Mode

Is UEFI chosen?

June 16th, 2016 13:00

Hi Chris.  I'm having a similar problem to this one with my Alienware r3 Andromeda.  It was working perfectly fine until I decided to reset it to wipe it clean.  I just wanted to purge it because I had recently backed everything onto an external hard drive.  Midway through the reset it gave me an error and said to restart.  When it restart it went straight to a black screen that says the hard disk is not detected and to reseat.  I opened it up and pulled out the hard drive and put it back in and the problem still persists.  I've been on forums all day and also tried to see if it would start at all with the hard drive unplugged and I couldn't even get to the Bios.  I got on the phone with Dell but my warranty is up.  Last thing I did was run the preboot system assessment and  everything workls fine.  I'm a student so I really need my pc for school and I'm also broke so it's really difficult for me to get another pc when I'm struggling to afford food.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 16th, 2016 14:00

Hi Chris.  I'm having a similar problem to this one with my Alienware r3 Andromeda.  It was working perfectly fine until I decided to reset it to wipe it clean.  I just wanted to purge it because I had recently backed everything onto an external hard drive.  Midway through the reset it gave me an error and said to restart.  When it restart it went straight to a black screen that says the hard disk is not detected and to reseat.  I opened it up and pulled out the hard drive and put it back in and the problem still persists.  I've been on forums all day and also tried to see if it would start at all with the hard drive unplugged and I couldn't even get to the Bios.  I got on the phone with Dell but my warranty is up.  Last thing I did was run the preboot system assessment and  everything workls fine.  I'm a student so I really need my pc for school and I'm also broke so it's really difficult for me to get another pc when I'm struggling to afford food.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

You are posting in an old thread.
What exact machine do you have? Is it a x51-R3 or Aurora-R3?
So, you reformatted the main hard-drive and you were clean-installing Windows? Were you using Dell Recovery or what?
Yes, check cables or drive might have died. Be sure PSA is actually checking HDD.

June 16th, 2016 16:00

Its an x51 r3.  Whenever i would go to the properties section on the computer it would say Andromeda after the R3. I  wasn't using dell recovery.  I went to windows update and security for the "reset".  Halfway through is when it crashed.  I did the thorough epsa scan and it says everything is working fine.  Says the HDD is fine.  I unplugged the cables and they seem to working fine as well.  Everything was working perfectly fine before I did the reset and now nothing.  I really don't think its a hardware failure because it was working fine before. I did upgrade that pc to windows 10 from windows 8.  

3 Posts

October 11th, 2016 19:00

try checking your RAID-disk setting.

restart your Alienware > press F12 > choose Intel Rapid Storage(Optional ROM) > remove your hard drive from the list if it was set as RAID-disk.

hope this helps~ cheers

No Events found!