Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2014 14:00

X51 R1 with EVGA GTX 760 2 gig works fine

I just wanted to let my fellow X51 R1 owners know that I successfully installed and tested this card: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130935

I have the 330 watt power supply and just stress tested the card with planet side 2 ultra settings and everything went just fine.

It was a bit tricky tucking in all the power connectors as space is limited but everything worked better than expected.

My specs:

i7 2600k @ 3.4 ghz

16 gigs of crucial ram

EVGA gtx 760 2 gig (non-overclocked)

bluray player/burner

1 terrabyte hard drive

1 terrabyte external hard drive

USB external sound card

bose quiet comfort 15 head set

best monitor samsung offers

THX quality 2.1 audio system

gaming mouse

gaming mouse pad

smaller than an xbox one

I absolutely love this set up :)

46 Posts

April 17th, 2014 09:00

Does anyone else have a similar success story?

1.8K Posts

April 23rd, 2014 11:00

Hi!

Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm glad to hear that everything is working properly!

Since the GeForce GTX 760 is not a validated video card for this system, I recommend you keep the original GPU for warranty purposes.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new setup!

46 Posts

June 16th, 2014 12:00

Thanks!

I just wanted to post an update. I have not had a single issue with this video card thus far. I use EVGA's precision X software and K-BOOST (this basically keeps the GPU clock and voltages at a maximum while in game to increase performance) and I have not had a single issue. I also have my PC set so it downclocks the GPU and CPU when not under load. I noticed that the stock GPU (GTX 555) was a major bottleneck in this system and I could not be happier with my EVGA GTX 760. I can play every game on maxed out setting with consistent high frame rates. I highly recommend this for anyone that has the 330 watt power supply and wants a solid upgrade for their X51.

46 Posts

August 14th, 2014 12:00

Posting an update. This card has worked flawlessly so far. I use the EVGA precision X software and K-boost my card when I play Planetside 2. It handles the game on maxed setting really well. All K-boost does is it keeps the videocard voltage and GPU/memory clocks maxed out as if it was always under load. I have the videocard fan maxed out under load too and the temps never spire above 60C which is amazing given how small the X51 case is. 

Keep in mind this is the X51 R1 and I have had it for a while now. The 330 watt power supply unit works perfectly. Make sure you position it so that it can radiate heat well. 

On last thing I wanted to note was that if you are using this card with your X51 R1 and also using EVGA's precision X software, DO NOT overclock the GPU/memory/voltage. Keep it at its default 100% and NOT 110%. This will draw too much from your power supply and crash your system and potentially damage it. All you need to do is keep things default settings and use the K-boost feature for added performance. 

Before I got this card, the GPU was definitely the bottleneck of this system. Now I do not think I have a bottle neck at all. I could not be happier with this set up!

3 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 11:00

I just installed the Zotac GTX 760  2MB in my X51 R1 after one of the plastic pins holding down one of the heat sinks let go in my GTX 660. (yes seriously..plastic pins holding down a heat sink...what a horribly bad idea!)

I have the 330W power supply, and so far the 760 has been running flawlessly. It fit perfectly in the video card 'cage' so installation was a breeze.

I think my next upgrade will be to move the guts of my X51 into a larger case with a real power supply

January 3rd, 2015 15:00

I think my next upgrade will be to move the guts of my X51 into a larger case with a real power supply

Then you won't have a beautifully designed  X51; just a case full of used parts.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3589208

46 Posts

October 14th, 2015 11:00

Just an update...

Over a year later and this set up is still working perfectly. My Alienware X51 R1 and the EVGA GTX 760 have not encountered a single issue yet.

3 Posts

October 14th, 2015 11:00

Ive had mine running for 10 months, also without issue. I would say its safe to install the GTX760.

No Events found!