Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 21st, 2014 14:00

X51 R2 - strange startup freeze issue

I've had my new Alienware X51 R2 (i5-4460) for about a week now, and it's mostly working fine, except for this one minor yet persistent issue, which I'm wondering if anybody else has come across.

This is what happens: whenever the machine is fully shut down, the first time it is subsequently switched on, it freezes at the very first part of the boot up cycle, i.e. the screen with the alienware logo and the F2/F12 startup options (which should normally only display for a second or so). If nothing else is done it will stay on that screen forever so far as I can tell. What I then do is switch off with the power button, then switch on again, at which point it always boots up fine. So it isn't really a major issue, in that I can always correct it by hard-rebooting. But it is concerning because you don't really expect such issues with a brand new computer, and because it is so absolutely predictable - every time, like clockwork, when I start the computer up after having it switched off overnight or while I am out at work during the day, I have just gotten accustomed to the fact that the first time booting up it will get stuck and have to try again. It worries me not knowing why it is happening, and because odd unexplained glitches can sometimes be warning bells for worse problems on the way.

So does anybody know what may be going on here?

Thanks,

• 

2.7K Posts

October 23rd, 2014 15:00

Do you have anything connected to the system besides keyboard and mouse?

Do the keyboard lights of the caps lock or the num lock keys flashing at some point?

I will recommend you to run a PSA diagnostic just to make sure there are no hardware issues with the system. 

2 Posts

October 24th, 2014 10:00

Well, this has helped to pinpoint the problem. I use the NVIDIA 3D Vision system, and I had the IR emitter plugged into one of the USB ports. When I disconnected this then shut down and rebooted, the machine started up just fine. So clearly a case of hardware conflict. Odd, since otherwise everything including the 3D is working fine, but clearly haveing it there is creating problems in the booting up cycle. A bit annoying that I will have to unplug then reconnect the 3D emitter every time if I want the system to boot up properly, but at least the reason for the freezing is identified.

I haven't run the diagnostic you suggest but will probably do so just to see if there are any other problems.

Thanks for your help,

Robin

• 

2.7K Posts

October 24th, 2014 20:00

Sure, you are more than welcome Robin. 

No Events found!