Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2016 19:00

X51 R2 upgrade question

im looking to upgrade my GPU from a 1gb GTX 645 to a 4GB EVGA 960( power draw of 160 watts)  i already know the card im looking at is 1 inch to big so im going to re build the pc into a new larger case and that i will need a larger power supply as i currently only have the 240 watt brick( yes i know there is a 330 watt i can buy but i think that will not work so ill have to get a  normal PSU)  . ive been reading up a lot and it seems the GTX 960 is compatible with the motherboard. my main question is what is the exact name of the motherboard used in the X51 R2 because for the life of me i cant find a solid answer on google and can that specific motherboard handle lets say a 600 watt power supply  or is that to much. thank you for any info you might have as this will be the first time i really put a pc together/upgrade  or anything like this  

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 7th, 2016 15:00

Hi,

Here is a link with the Alienware X51 R2 system specifications. The most that we’ve certified on the unit is a 330W power supply. You can try posting on the Notebook Review and Alienware Arena forums where our users may have tried this kind of upgrades to get further information on it.

June 7th, 2016 16:00

I'm looking at the 1070 now basically just have to get a new case and a new PSU. From what I've heard it will work when I take off the power board

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 8th, 2016 09:00

Well, so far we have not certified the GTX 1070 to work on this unit, but you can give it a shot.

No Events found!