Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2012 09:00

X51 Reseat Hard Drive - Visible but not bootable.

Hi everyone,

So this one is driving me up the wall! I have an Alienware X51 and it is constantly asking me to reseat the drive as it believes it is not present, even though in the bios (A01) it actually can see the drive and when I run some Alienware EPA thing, it says that it is 1TB and working fine!

The bios settings are all set to the default, the hard drive has Windows 7 Installed and ready to go, but for the life of me, it won't boot. Oh and also how do you get it to force eject a DVD in the bios?

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I'm just wanting to update to A03, which should solve this problem I hear, but it is an .exe file. Go figure.

Fuzzy.

July 9th, 2012 11:00

Perhaps you should try reinstalling Windows or getting to it into safe mode.

July 9th, 2012 15:00

Try reinstalling Windows then but on the x51, booting to the CD and not the HDD to see if it recognizes it.

July 9th, 2012 15:00

... I can't boot to windows at all lol.

I put a fresh install of windows 7 on it by installing in another computer so the drive works fine.

July 9th, 2012 17:00

I'll try but it comes back to a secondary issue, how do you force eject a DVD in the drive?

Thanks for your help btw!

245 Posts

July 9th, 2012 21:00

you might want to update to the latest bios as well A03.

July 9th, 2012 22:00

Thank you everybody for trying to help, but as stated I can't update to A03 because I don't have an operating system!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 10th, 2012 08:00

fuzzyalienware,

Can you still boot into the bios? If yes, do that and then press the ODD (optical disk drive) eject button. What happens? Did you make any changes in the bios in the past before the HDD issues started?

Did you try the paperclip?

245 Posts

The ODD on X51 is software controlled and requires the ODD monitor app to be running in windows or an operating system that can send a software eject signal.  For example in windows right clicking the ODD and choosing eject.

If you booted windows from a USB key you could send a software/eject command. Acutally any os booted from USB would work too as long as it can send "software eject" to the ODD drive.

July 10th, 2012 09:00

mav711 is definitely right. This is controlled by software and to eject it would be only within the Windows environment, perhaps you can try creating a bootable USB to get to install Windows or try forcing the ODD if you see enough space with the method I mentioned above.

July 10th, 2012 12:00

fuzzyalienware,

I see that you are having many issues to get into Windows and we would like to provide you with top notch technical support on this matter, please send us an e-mail to AWSocialMedia@dell.com with your service tag and phone number and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

No Events found!