Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2012 06:00

X51 Won't Start with Dual Monitors Plugged In

Something strange is going on with my brand new X51 (arrived Friday). Starting yesterday (so 2 days of use) the computer would not start. The power button had a white light but there was no other activity (no fans, no other lights, etc). After messing around with plugs and reading some of the other forum posts regarding similar issues (none provided fixes but were resolved when techs came out) I unplugged one of the monitors and plugged it into my backup machine. Once the X51 only has one monitor it boots up/runs seemingly fine and I can plug the second monitor back in without issue. 

This problem has repeated itself, this morning again the computer would only start with one monitor plugged in but would recognize the second monitor if it was plugged in after boot up. As such this currently is a non-vital issue as I have access to the computer, however since the computer is brand new I want to make sure that this is not indicative of a larger issue and wanted to get some forum advise on how to proceed to make sure that the computer is up to snuff. 

Both monitors are connected via DVI (older monitors, no hdmi on either) and it does not seem to matter which monitor is plugged in at start so long as only one is plugged in. 

My specs are

• Alienware X51 BTO
  • i5-3330
  • 16 gb ram
  • GeForce GTX 660
  • Windows 8
  • 330W Power Supply (on invoice, haven't confirmed this is what was sent (seems to be a common issue) and currently at work so can't confirm until this evening)

December 4th, 2012 15:00

inklewert ,

I'll suggest  to check the primary display in the BIOS

- Restart system

- Press F12 at the alien head logo

- Select advance tab - Integrated Devices - Primary display should be set as "Discrete"

If is already setup to discrete then,  plug the two monitors turn on your system and follow this steps

No Events found!