Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2012 11:00

X51 review, my fixes to date

I wanted a small, quiet Windows HTPC (XBMC) to play games occasionally. My Zotac ZBOX was OK, except it is underpowered. The X51 (i5/550 GTX version) arrived,  I dropped in an SSD and loaded a standard WIN7 64 image. So far the X51 has been nearly perfect, after a few tweaks:

1) some games (Wolfenstein 2009 and NFS) would not go fullscreen - updated the GTX 550 drivers with the latest nVidia drivers

2) no video at boot - put the HDMI cable on the GTX 550 instead on the Intel output

3) Loud fan - found it was the video card fan, ramping up to 100% after about 10 minutes of gameplay, staying there until reboot. Felt like a bug, so rather than swap the video card I opted to download evga's Precision X software, then underclocked and undervolted the video card. Also set the fan speed curve and so far it is fairly quiet (not silent). If it weren't for the video card fan my X51 would be silent..

I realize #3 is not ideal for most - for me, the X51 with an underclocked GTX 550 is still 4x faster than the ZBOX. I suppose I could overclock the i5 if I need more speed.

PROS: small, external PS, some standard parts, ease of service, unique look, upgradable, solid case, performance

CONS: niggling issues that take Dell too long to resolve, SSD option would be nice, OEM video card, cost,  few standard tweaking options

June 12th, 2012 12:00

edit

CONS: X51 is not a tool-less design, optical audio out connection just barely holds cable

All in all, pretty minor cons

No Events found!