Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2012 20:00

X51 weird noise while blu-ray drive reading cd

I encountered a weird situation yesterday.  I put in my newly bought Talyor Swift album into the blu ray drive, and wanted to transfer the songs from cd to mp3 player X1000 through MediaGo (software from Sony).  While the BD drive was reading the cd, there were cracking noise coming out.  The noise is abnormal to me, and my x51 eventually freezed up.  I rebooted my machine, and couldnt eject the cd out.  After the machine run through automatical repair procedures, finally I could get the cd out.

Afterward, I run the PC-check up program, and it didn't provide any irregular result.  Furthermore, I put different CD/DVD/BDs into the drive, and tested the machine.  The BD drive run Linkin park (CD)/ Benijman Case (BD movie) quietly.  Once I put back the Taylor's CD, the cracking noise was making again. 

Is it my BD drive defected?

Thanks.

2.6K Posts

October 24th, 2012 22:00

Hello,

I would suggest running a hardware diagnostics.
Disconnect all the peripherals from the computer. Only the Battery and the AC Adapter should be connected.
Refer to the following link to run the hardware diagnostics: http://dell.to/OUGnqT

I would also suggest you check the Taylor Swift CD in some other dvd player or a music player to check if you get the noise. 
Please write back to us with results, I'd be glad to assist you further. 

2.4K Posts

October 25th, 2012 00:00

I encountered a weird situation yesterday.  I put in my newly bought Talyor Swift album into the blu ray drive, and wanted to transfer the songs from cd to mp3 player X1000 through MediaGo (software from Sony).  While the BD drive was reading the cd, there were cracking noise coming out.  The noise is abnormal to me, and my x51 eventually freezed up.  I rebooted my machine, and couldnt eject the cd out.  After the machine run through automatical repair procedures, finally I could get the cd out.

Afterward, I run the PC-check up program, and it didn't provide any irregular result.  Furthermore, I put different CD/DVD/BDs into the drive, and tested the machine.  The BD drive run Linkin park (CD)/ Benijman Case (BD movie) quietly.  Once I put back the Taylor's CD, the cracking noise was making again. 

Is it my BD drive defected?

Thanks.

You would think that if it only did it with the Taylor Swift CD then it was something with just that CD. Have you tried playing it in something else to see if the it makes the noise with other players like Dell Allan suggested? Does the disk look defective?

2.4K Posts

October 25th, 2012 09:00

Thank Allan and Morblore

I did run the hardware diagnotiscs, and the result is no problems found.  Event log is clean and clear.  In addition, I put the cd into my laptop T420s, and the dvd drive reads the disc quietly without problems.  Afterward, I put back the cd into x51, and weird noise is making again "tick tick tick tick".

Hmmm. I think if it was me I would bust out all my CD's and start trying them in the x51 to see if another one made the " tick tick tick tick ". And if I found another one that did I would call Dell and have them replace the drive.

13 Posts

October 25th, 2012 09:00

Thank Allan and Morblore

I did run the hardware diagnotiscs, and the result is no problems found.  Event log is clean and clear.  In addition, I put the cd into my laptop T420s, and the dvd drive reads the disc quietly without problems.  Afterward, I put back the cd into x51, and weird noise is making again "tick tick tick tick".

158 Posts

October 25th, 2012 11:00

You did mention some other disks ran quietly. The issue apparently is only with the Taylor Swift album.

I have to agree with Morblore, test different disks in the drive and if you notice a weird noise with every single disk you insert, then it would be better to send us an email to awsocialmedia@dell.com with your service tag, contact info and a brief description of the issue. We'll review the case and look into that optical drive replacement.

207 Posts

May 30th, 2013 09:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.  

No Events found!