Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2017 22:00

aleinware 17 r2 switches from batter to ac power under load

while normal use like  browsing the internet my battery and computer run fine. however when i start playing games like GTA V or starwars battlefront it starts to switch from outlet power to battery power. the heavier the load the faster it switches. i have toned down the setting for my computer as well as in game but it still continues. i fear it may be the motherboard but hope that its just the power jack as it is very lose. was planning on replacing that and applying fresh thermal paste in hope that might help. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 26th, 2017 11:00

Hi, 

If the power jack is loose, then yes, probably that's the reason why.

You can also try updating the Bios to the latest in our website (make sure to choose the OS accordingly) and also check power options to make sure it is on High performance. 

4 Posts

January 27th, 2017 11:00

thank you for this the bios was the first thing i checked and I've ordered a replacement power jack. what i also want to know is what are compatible motherboards for the alienware 17 r2 so that if  a replacment is needed i know my options.  

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 30th, 2017 10:00

Unfortunately no, since our motherboards are OEM.

4 Posts

February 1st, 2017 09:00

so do you know those part numbers or can at least point me in the right direction.? these are sold through different sites.

also I've been looking round and noticed some people attempting to see if the AW 17 r1, AW 17 r2, and the alienware 15 have similar enough designs so that they (the mother boards)can be inter changed if need be?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 6th, 2017 11:00

Just the AW17R2 and the AW15R1 will share the same motherboard. The part number will vary, since the video card is built-in the motherboard. So, the part# will depend on what type of video card and CPU the system has.

No Events found!