Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

April 9th, 2017 20:00

alienware 17r2 windows 10 logon screen flickers, can't boot in safe mode

I'm running a 17r2 alienware that worked just fine up until saturday morning.  Now when I try to turn it on, once it gets to the logon screen it just flickers between the logon screen and blue screen with the "busy" circle.  At one point I was getting an error about the logonUI failing or something, but I regretfully didn't get the details and it hasn't come back up since I've been trying to troubleshoot it.  I've tried:

• booting in safe mode (with network)
  • booting in safe mode (with command prompt)
  • booting in safe mode
  • booting in low res mode
  • using an external monitor (still flickers at logon screen)
  • running alien respawn (cannot repair system)

When I try to boot to safe mode(s) I get a black screen at startup.  Can still move the cursor around, but can't do anything else.  I can't refresh the PC, use system image recovery, use command prompt from advanced startup options, or system restore because apparently I'm not an admin on my own damn laptop (not even sure how that's possible, it's the only account).

From what I've found on the net, it's likely a GPU driver but I can't get into the system to even change the drivers.

I'm an idiot and the last recovery point I have is from 2015 (factory image) when the unit was brand new.  I have no idea how that will affect things and I'd rather not lose the rather large amount of important files I have on the laptop.

I don't know what happened or what to do!  Please help!  

April 10th, 2017 03:00

you might be right. it could be the Nvidia driver having issues with the Windows Fast Boot funktion.

have you considered to remove your Hard Drive from the system, then connecting it to one of your other PCs? that way you could atleast transfer your Files.

then you can try to recover your system with the 2015 backup image.

April 10th, 2017 09:00

probably not. that's why i suggested to take the Hard Drive out of your Laptop and copy your Files to your other device at home.

Edit:

basically. your Windows installation is broken now. you can not boot. but your important Files are still there.
so. take the Hard Drive out of your Laptop. put the Hard Drive into your other PC. copy the Files you want to save. then put the HDD back into your Laptop. and then use the 2015 Backup Image to make your Laptop working again.

4 Posts

April 10th, 2017 09:00

But would using the system recovery option leave data files unharmed?  

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 11th, 2017 10:00

F12 Booting a live Linux DVD with the hard drive disconnected may give a clue as to whether or not the hardware is broken or the windows is hozed.

Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS

ubuntu-14.04.5-desktop-amd64.iso  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 11th, 2017 10:00

I suggest you first run ePSA Hardware Diagnostics. Try to determine if your hardware is good, and if you just have a software problem.

Turn computer OFF.

- If laptop, connect only AC-Adapter.

- If desktop, connect only know-good wired USB keyboard and mouse to back ports. 

As soon as you turn computer ON ...

Start tapping the F12 key about once every second. Do NOT just hold it down.

Run ePSA (Hardware Diagnostics) outside of Windows

Does it pass? If it fails, write down or take a picture of error screen.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 13th, 2017 20:00

Good to hear you got it going.

Hopefully, they checked the hard-disk-drive and/or SSD. Very rarely does Windows just corrupt files for no reason. If it wasn't a virus or RansomWare attack ... it's usually due to the main Windows drive slowly failing.

4 Posts

April 13th, 2017 20:00

Thanks for the help guys.  I ended up having to take it a local pro.  Turns out some windows system files were seriously corrupted and the whole operating system had to be reinstalled.

April 14th, 2017 00:00

that's what i told you. you could fix it on your own. we could have provided you with step by step guides but you stopped responding. now you have probably 50 bugs less in your pocket and your important files are gone after all.

4 Posts

April 17th, 2017 22:00

We cloned the drive so all the files are saved.  Sure I could have fixed it on my own, if I had the time and resources, both of which I was in short supply of.  I appreciate everyone's feedback and help, I just didn't have the time to keep messing with it and now I don't have to worry about it.  Peace of mind has a certain value, know what I mean?

No Events found!