Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 7th, 2014 14:00

aurora r4 temperature 1 averaging 95 degrees

A few days a go my system shutdown and the alien symbol was glowing red/orange so I powered it off, waited for 5 minutes and powered it on. It came up ok but since then each day a few hours into its use the running temperature1 is showing low of 88 and high of 102 and fan 1 is running between 2392 and 4202 rpm. There has been no change in the environment in which it is running. Does this indicate that something has broken or is broken or is failing? Regards, Mr Major Thorburn. CITP

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 7th, 2014 14:00

Sounds like your Liquid Cooling system might be going out. Are you under warranty?

Pretty sure whatever the LED lighting was doing was just a coincidence.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 7th, 2014 15:00

Also, restate your temps and if they are in C or F. Also, what are you doing on machine (idle, gaming, etc.)

Try CPU-ID HW-Monitor .

• 

2.7K Posts

January 8th, 2014 15:00

MajorThorburn,

If you check the temperatures with the HW-Monitor as Tesla said, and they go above the 90° definitely the system is overheating, you can check this article so you can monitor the temperatures on the proper way.

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

January 9th, 2014 00:00

Thank you for all your responses. I have phoned Dell support and they have raised an order for an engineer to visit and fit a replacement water cooling module. As for monitoring. I have been using the HW Monitor in place of Command Center as that was not showing the correct temperatures so was uninstalled as agreed with Dell technical support as not being required for normall running. It now looks to me like in this instance command center would have reported the failed cooling and have shut the system down and prevented me from continuing to use it. I will be reinstalling command center after this HW fix is in place in order to check if the temperature reading problem has been resolved and if not raise a new Dell support ticket for that software problem as it now appears to me that command center is in fact a requirement for the healthy and safe running of this system.
No Events found!