Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2012 15:00

f8 non functional when rebooting. alienware x51

I've tried several times to boot in safe mode by pressing f8 to no avail.

I've since been able to force boot in safe mode through the boot tab in system configuration however I'd like to know if anyone else is having this problem?

Upon restarting I get a beep, a loading screen with the options to press f2 or f12, then the computer loads the the log in screen. Spamming and even holding f8 during this process does not bring up a boot menu.

Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 19:00

Hi mfergus2011,

Yes, windows 8 have a different option to boot into safe mode.

There are two ways to get to the Windows Startup Settings screen in Windows 8 :

If you're not signed in to Windows, tap or click the power icon Power icon from the sign-in screen, hold Shift, and then tap or click Restart

Or, if you're already signed in:

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2. Under PC settings, tap or click General.

3. Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.

4. On the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.

5. Tap or click Startup Settings.

6. Tap or click Restart.

7. On the Startup Settings screen, choose the startup setting you want.

8. Sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.

For more information refer below video:.

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKifTQHJboQ]

Please reply if you have any further questions.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 18:00

Hi mfergus2011,

To isolate the issue, run SFC Scan on the computer.If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected. For example, some Windows functions may not work, or Windows may crash. The System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) scans for missing or corrupted system files and repairs them. Follow below steps to run SFC Scan.

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

If the issue persists, run hardware diagnostics on the computer. Restart the computer by holding the Fn and Power button. Let the diagnostics complete. Please note down the error message if any.

Awaiting your response!

16 Posts

Doing this now, will let you know!

16 Posts

I completely forgot to include this, I am running win8 pro and bios version a10.

Should have included that earlier!

16 Posts

Thanks much!

16 Posts

No problems were found running sfc /scannow.

Also my keyboard does not have a fn key, I ran the tests found by pressing f5 during boot, is this the same thing?

No problems were found running those tests.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2015 13:00

I cannot get into the desktop screen to do any of the steps listed above. My computer loads up and automatically says "preparing automatic repair" and then gives me a blue screen with an error and a frowny face but, i cannot read this error because the screen mouse and keyboard all turn off and the computer idles.

I tried hitting f12 when i turn on the computer and it goes blackscreen and nothing happens. I also try to hit f8 but it does absolutely nothing. Please help?

No Events found!