Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2016 20:00

m17x R1 Battery Failure

Still running my Alienware M17x from 2009, mostly good. However my battery has been terrible for some time now, and my computer gives me a prompt at boot up that I've had a critical power failure and need to replace the battery. That's fine, batteries die and its been a few years, however,  as the battery type is F310J W075J and dell hasn't carried it for some time, I'm struggling to find a source for a new battery, especially one that will fit my laptop. A number of sources claim that c0c5m batteries are compatible, as well as BTYV01 batteries, but I'm quite skeptical.

Any one have experience on the matter? Shed some light on a replacement battery for my aging yet still capable M17x? I'd prefer not to have a battery explode or have it trapped as a desktop for the rest of its days.

June 15th, 2016 08:00

Hello,

This are the 2 part numbers for the batteries that we used on the M17X R1: W075J and C852J. Because of the age of the computer, as you said, we don’t have stock for that unit any more. You can look through third party or online stores and see if they have any available.

Thanks for the response Alienware-Alex! The issue I have is knowing what is compatible and what is not. I don't expect to get a replica of the same battery, as it's quite old, but something that is works, such as a battery from the newer M17x line computers, such as the R3 or R4. Some of the newer batteries list W075J in their "compatible list," such as the C0C5M, even though they weren't made exactly for the M17x R1. Any direction on batteries from newer M17x's that will work with the R1, though not directly supported?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 15th, 2016 08:00

Hello,

This are the 2 part numbers for the batteries that we used on the M17X R1: W075J and C852J. Because of the age of the computer, as you said, we don’t have stock for that unit any more. You can look through third party or online stores and see if they have any available.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 15th, 2016 13:00

I wouldn’t be able to guarantee that they would work, or which part numbers to use because it’s not something that we’ve tried before. You could be able to try batteries from the R2 and R3 series, or maybe even from the M15X R1, but again I’m not sure it they would work. You could also try posting this on the Notebook Review and Alienware Arena forums for further information on it.

June 16th, 2016 13:00

I wouldn’t be able to guarantee that they would work, or which part numbers to use because it’s not something that we’ve tried before. You could be able to try batteries from the R2 and R3 series, or maybe even from the M15X R1, but again I’m not sure it they would work. You could also try posting this on the Notebook Review and Alienware Arena forums for further information on it.

Thanks, I'll browse and post there and see if I can gain any additional direction. Any recommendations on legit third-party battery companies? There seems to be a lot of scammy garbage out there in the battery world, tough to tell what's real and what's not.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 16th, 2016 15:00

There seems to be a lot of scammy garbage out there in the battery world, tough to tell what's real and what's not.

Exactly.

Try these guys. I bought a Dell M65 Mobile Workstation (laptop) battery from Denaq years ago and it still works great.

http://www.denaq.com/

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

We don't have any recommended companies. Just check online, that's the easiest way to find them.

Will Dell ever provide a cross-reference and easy way for Dell and Alienware laptop owners to easily buy a genuine battery or AC-Adapter?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

We don't have any recommended companies. Just check online, that's the easiest way to find them.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 17th, 2016 08:00

The only place we recommend is the Dell website.

No Events found!