Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2014 13:00

m17x R3 - ati drivers

After searching all over the internet, and I cannot stress this enough, all over the internet, I cannot find any recent drivers for my system. It has been fitted with an AMD Ati Radeon HD 6970M.

Now, AMD's own drivers seem to already be up to version 14.6 whereas my drivers are still at fossil version 9.0.0.8.

Why isn't there a new one out? If there is, where can I find it? Dell Support downloads doesn't seem to have any higher version and any official AMD driver I try to install results in complete incompatibility where I literally have no workable driver installed (so windows defaults to 1024 × 786 and everything looks like it would've in 1995)

I'm fed up looking. I'm fed up failing. I've been very patient in my search, but I've had it and I want answers.

Are there workarounds? Are there alternate drivers available anywhere?

I paid $2000 for a laptop expecting it to pass games with flying colors, but it doesn't. At all, especially more recent games are particularly atrocious, despite my specs still meeting them in excess. I barely ever get 30+ fps on ANY game.

---

FYI, I have done everything by the book, so to speak. Clean installations, clean windows installations, registry cleaning, un- and reinstalling drivers, installing new drivers over the proprietary dell ones, vice versa. Nothing works. Nothing. Zip.

901 Posts

May 28th, 2014 17:00

Hi, sounds like you've had some fun :P

What OS are you running Win 7 or 8?

Is this the AMD/ATI driver you have tried:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows%208%20-%2064#amd-catalyst-packages

What happens during the install process, do you get any error messages?

Strange that your 6970M will not accept standard AMD drivers, I had a M18x with dual 6970M's for a while and used the AMD drivers without any issues

3 Posts

May 29th, 2014 01:00

> sounds like you had some fun :P
Yeah, really. I think I've found my dream job :p

Let's see, I'm running Windows 7 x64, I've tried that driver and the new beta as well (14.6).

I don't get any error messages, but during the installation my resolution flips over to 1024x768 and stays there. When I restart, it says there's no ATI device to manage, or there's no driver installed.

If this is fixable, I won't have to spend another heap of money on a new laptop, so I'd be incredibly grateful if you have a solution of some kind!

901 Posts

May 29th, 2014 06:00

Hi again, I had something similar happen to one of the laptops I was working on but that was quite some time ago.

Just to confirm, if you use the Dell driver your screen res is normal, but if you use any other it turns to 1024 x 768???

It's so long ago I had this issue I'm having trouble remembering how I fixed it.

Have you tried this:

Install the lastest AMD driver, do not reboot.

Go to cat control centre and click screen res, try to adjust it to what it should be - If that setting is not available look for something on the same page that says "Show all screen res settings" or "Show hidden screen res setting" the correct setting should be there, make it your default setting and click OK

Try a reboot then.

If that does not work restart machine and hit F2, go into the system BIOS and make sure your graphics cards setting defaults are on "discrete" and NOT "Intergated"

Save, exit and reboot.

If that does not work, try an external monitor to see if it will present the correct res on the external.

If that does not work, try swapping between your discrete and integrated graphics via the F7 button.

Let us know how you go.

Goodluck

3 Posts

June 12th, 2014 02:00

Hey! Sorry for not having responded sooner, my life took a swing for the busy.

I've tried to do as you said - now, the driver is installed and everything seems to be in working order, 'cept for one thing.

When I maximize a window, it maximizes it only up till about ¾ of the full screen width. It's weird!
Even pushing a window up to the top or the side gives me the same effect, as though the working area of the desktop suddenly shrunk, even though it does display everything beyond that area as it should, and I can still resize windows manually. (Regardless, it's kinda annoying that I can't properly utilize the maximize button)

At least Watch_Dogs is running now, and I'm hoping GW2 will too (because it had this weird thing where I'd get 30+FPS in the first few minutes and then after about 5 it'd drop down to like 8). Haven't yet tried playing that game though.

1.8K Posts

June 13th, 2014 12:00

Hi Aephion!

When I maximize a window, it maximizes it only up till about ¾ of the full screen width. It's weird!

Even pushing a window up to the top or the side gives me the same effect, as though the working area of the desktop suddenly shrunk, even though it does display everything beyond that area as it should, and I can still resize windows manually. (Regardless, it's kinda annoying that I can't properly utilize the maximize button)

Can you test this on Safe Mode?

Some of the symptoms indicate there could be a video card problem. Try the troubleshooting steps in this article for FPS drops and low performance in games and let me know the results.

10 Posts

January 7th, 2015 12:00

I have the same Alienware, sadly no drivers or work around will work, it is a pretty basic machine that does not meet expectations. I fought with this for months, so what I did was upgrade my graphics card to an ati 6990, and only now things are running they way they are. problem is I had to get the card on ebay as it is a fraction of the cost that Dell will sell them at. dell price for upgrade 600 pounds, ebay price 120 pounds

that is the truth M17x r3 is not the best it is below average and I wish I had bought something else.

1 Message

October 27th, 2015 11:00

i have one

Alienware m17x R3 HD6970 16GB i7-2630QM - 125 ssd

and i have this computer since 2011... I usually could play Crysis 2 on ultra...

BUT,  than , AMD and DELL simple forgot about the users of this EXPENSIVE and "Respectful" Gaming Laptop

Our driver update page is forgotten and very confusing... they always say to uninstall the drivers and install the most recently from Cataclyst website... everytime that i read this... i dont know if i cry or laught

the switch graphic doesnt work as they should ... and on this $2000.00 computer... i cant play COUNTER STRIKE : GO  without having my fps 250... going to 23 on the first shot...

Please alienware ... tell me to reinstal drivers... just tell.. i have never heard that... and have never tried.. you are really Smart... or incompetent

Cheers... to you to that have one Ferrari with a scooter motor!

No Events found!