Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2016 14:00

m17x R4: Fans don't work/disappearing Graphics Card? Help!

Hey guys, so like I said above my fans don't turn on (ever). I've found that if I use an outside program like HWiNFO64 I can manually turn them on, but that means I'm constantly having to adjust them for what I'm doing. Since they work with a program it makes me think it's not actually the fans that are the problem- but what could it be? Motherboard? I'm also having some issues with my Nvidia Graphics card just disappearing/failing from the system. When this happens, or mainly when I can actually catch it before my computer blue screens- the system info or device manager will show the integrated intel card but nvidia's card is gone (and consequently BSOD's occur).

Is this a motherboard issue? If so (or not so) what should I do?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 14th, 2016 13:00

Hi,

Are you running the latest Bios version for your system (A13)? Does the system ever overheat and turn off by itself?

March 14th, 2016 16:00

Hi Rodrigo- thank you for the reply!

In my system info/cmd prompt it says I'm running Alienware A12 5/17/2013, I've never done anything with this so this is what the system came with (or updated to if it does that, though I'm sure it doesn't).

The laptop has overheated and killed itself/shut down once, consequently the first time I realized my fans stopped working. As a result, the machine does potentially run warm on principle, down right molten if I try to play a game (I don't, figure I'll hold off on that). I've always used an external fan, plus that third party program but that's about all I can do, just manage it. I'm sure my laptop has at least some heat damage..otherwise, I'm experiencing semi frequent BSOD's with a loud noise/beep that will crash/mini dump, and then quickly turn off. It goes a bit too quick for me to write the numbers down. No problems turning it on so far, hoping it stays that way.

Not sure if this is any help, but I don't use the battery anymore as it's dead, so I run off the power cord (which now needs to be replaced). Every boot I get a black screen telling me that the power type/wattage is unknown, and to plug in a dell 240 or greater. I just f1 to continue, so I can keep the message just in case. Could power be part of the problem?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 15th, 2016 11:00

Hi, 

I don’t think the power could be causing the issues, it sounds more like a problem with the video card or CPU fans and they may need to be replaced. The latest Bios version is A12, flashing the Bios could help with the fan issues. 

No Events found!