Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2014 12:00

modding alienware x51..need some help / answers

Hey everyone,

I own an alienware X51 R1 

its somewhat 2 years old now and starts acting seriously strange.. random reboots, black screen, HDMI disconnection, overheating, name it.. not fun!

Ive been reading a lot, applied some fixes, as suggested here and whatever i could find..i'm totally up to date with everything but the problem  stays.

To improve my airflow and heat management, i am moving the interior to a bigger case which involves;

- new power adaptor

- new motherboard

- new graphics card

I am also going to install an SSD to boost speed of the OS

Now my questions

- Will my OS (if given by dell on USB stick) work on a new motherboard?

- can i recover my optical drive?

Thanks in advance!

• 

2.7K Posts

November 24th, 2014 07:00

Hello Furiousb89!

We cannot assure you if the USB will work with other motherboards since we just tested with Dell/Alienware systems, you can test it however you might get error messages.

And the question of the optical drive is not that clear, what exactly do you mean by recover the optical drive? 

2 Posts

November 24th, 2014 07:00

Thank you for coming back to me!

Hmm..I could keep using the x51 mobo but then I'll have a hole in the backside.

The openings  in my case are 3,5" and I've read that the x51 dvd /cd reader wouldn't fit in such shot because it's much smaller.

1.2K Posts

November 24th, 2014 09:00

yea I believe the X51 dvd drive is closer to that of a laptop then desktop style ...

the Original operating system will install on any system, that's not the issue, its the activation that comes an issue since OEM key is tied to the motherboard sometimes embedded in motherboard as windows 8 is, so issue would arise from activation more then anything since the board would no  longer be a dell branded board.. so  in such we cant help you without purchase of  a new key ..

you can find cases that support the X51 motherboard  its been done (google)    but to  be  honest if  replacing power supply, motherboard, videocard and case. to  be honest just sell of the X51 use that money to aid  in , and   build your own, your 3/4s the way there or buy a newer alienware with MORE POWER...mmmm POWER! lol

No Events found!