Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 27th, 2015 14:00

switching hard-drive with SSD and installing windows 8.1

Hi,

I am planning to buy a SSD Samsung 850 pro / evo  ( if you recommend sticking to a 840 please let me know)

I have a alienware r4 bought in September 2014 which I got with a normal 3TB hard which I now want to change to just a storage drive and install a SSD drive with windows on it.

I Have reinstall windows 8.1 once before due to a problem before so im not new and understand the basic. But still assume I don't know incase I miss a step or something that should have been done.

I also understand that the windows key remains on computers which have a UEFI booting mode. if that correct?

Is there any special step I have to do to install a SSD

I also heard when reinstalling windows on you computer you need to do something with you mother board which didn't do when I first did a reinstallation of windows on  my computer. But that's for a clean windows installation. I am not sure what is this "Clean windows installation" and if it not necessary to do then please let me know.

All I really want to do is install windows back on a SSD card for faster performance without having to buy a new cd and would like to know if the driver that were usually recommended for my computer will all work like it should or must I install something different since im putting a ssd card in my rig.

Thank you,

118 Posts

May 27th, 2015 15:00

The 850 is a great drive, and if there isn't a big price difference I would recommend it over the 840.  Your plan for SSD boot sounds good.  As long as you are using the recovery disk from Dell, you won't need another Windows key.

In some cases, you might need to switch the SATA mode to AHCI to do a clean install.  FYI, a clean install is one that erases all the data from the destination drive.

However, Samsung provides a free clone application (available on their website) that you can use to migrate your current install to the new drive without all the trouble of a new install.

118 Posts

May 27th, 2015 16:00

You are welcome.  The link for the Samsung software is below:

www.samsung.com/.../downloads.html

31 Posts

AWesome!!!! thanks for the extra information for the cloning and the Samsung app :)

118 Posts

Also, I highly recommend that you install Samsung Magician as it allows you to configure your drive for optimal performance using some easy steps.

31 Posts

May 27th, 2015 19:00

Thanks again :)

No Events found!