March 24th, 2016 11:00

system crashes on 15r2

Hi, I have the following:

Alienware 15 R, shipped 12/4/2015
Windows 10 Pro (64bit) English
Intel i7-6820HK
15.6 inch UHD
16GB memory

My system crashes when playing WoW (used to crash more often, on Outlook, Word).

I have updated all software, by install date, restarting each time and also disabling the antivirus and windows defender.

I get "bad spool header". It reboots, collecting information.

If I disable the intel graphics, this does not occur, ever.

I also use a cooling pad, and do not run the game at full graphics, so heat is not an issue.

I did contact premium support, they looked at the crashes, took over my system remotely, updated some things, but it never changed (and I did not have time to sit on the phone again unfortunately).

Any help with this would be grand!

29 Posts

March 31st, 2016 05:00

Not sure if this is related, but my AW15R2 (shipped Jan 2016) has become stable ever since I've uninstalled the Dell Support Assist software.

Before, I can't leave the laptop running. I leave it running in the morning, and I get back in the evening to find that it had rebooted at some point during the day. Sometimes, while I'm working on a presentation on PowerPoint, I get the BSOD with the Bad Pool Header.

Now, I haven't shut the thing down in six weeks. No crashes, either. On a couple of weekends, I've played Dragon Age: Inquisition and Witcher 3 on Ultra settings for most of the day. ^_^

Try it. Since you've got the installer anyway, you can just reinstall Dell Support Assist if it doesn't fix your system.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 24th, 2016 14:00

Hi,

Try running a video card stress test instead. Follow the steps below to do this.

• Open Support Assist
  • Click on the Checkup option
  • Click run custom scan
  • Click on the Nvidia card
  • Select the Stress Test option

Confirm if the system crashes during the test.

6 Posts

March 24th, 2016 15:00

Thanks for the reply.

I can't run Support Assist, it crashes as it opens. (I can open it fine if I change the 3D Settings to Nvidia only, in the Nvidia Software). This was always an issue after updating all drivers and software, in order, that is recommended for my specific Service Tag. I even rebooted after each install the last time I did an fresh install. 

I tried running the video stress diagnostic from the Dell Product Support Website, it crashes. Both times "Bad Spool Header". 

I have run that test before, with a cooling pad underneath and the ambient air temperature in the room at 60 degrees. It ran fine before, a couple months ago.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 25th, 2016 15:00

Hi,

Are you running the latest Bios version? It sounds like a possible video card failure. If your system is in warranty, send me your Service Tag in a PM for hardware assistance.

6 Posts

March 29th, 2016 16:00

HI Rodrigo, I sent you a PM with my service tag. I had installed the bios update along with all updates on the Dell Support website, in order of installation as listed on the support site.

327 Posts

March 31st, 2016 08:00

Update your BIOS 

this BIOS is from today ! 

if this doesnt work  please remove the base panel (dissconect the battery) and check if the RAM is well placed in the slot.

if is good placed, remove 1 ram and boot, check if the problem is solved, if dont try with the another one. is possible that one of these 2 is not working propertly

6 Posts

March 31st, 2016 12:00

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I will send it back, maybe they will look into your suggestion on the software. It has started rebooting on its own now, with no "bad spool header message". It also dies when trying to run the video card test from their website.

6 Posts

March 31st, 2016 13:00

I just saw, thanks! I will update the bios, and if all is good, not send it back.

6 Posts

April 1st, 2016 14:00

I uninstalled support assist, then website to test it, but the support site wants to reinstall the support assist software. So instead, I installed Furmark 1.17.0.0 and ran the GPU test, being careful the temperature did not rise too far (I was in a room with 60 degree air, had an Antec cooling fan underneath and ran a large fan from the side to keep air flow high - did not want to make any mistakes). The Furmark test ran without a hitch. I then ran Prime95 to test the CPU, again no issues. Hopefully problem solved. If this is the case and it is support assist software, than Dell needs to fix that, since it should not be an issue (especially for such a pricey laptop).

Thanks for the suggestion, at first I was hesitant, because I feel that nothing that Dell provides on this machine should cause these problems, but to send it back for something that won't be fixed even upon the laptops return to me, is silly. I need this machine for business (and my WoW addiction).

Dell Support Staff, Please fix the software issue, seems like I am not the only one...

No Events found!