Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2016 03:00

who is responsible ?

so I bought the MSI GTX 1080 FE to replace my GTX 970 in the graphic amplifier connected to my alienware 15R2 but have noticed while doing benchmarks that the core clock is fluctuating between 1050 and 1900. Most of the time it sits at 1050. Reading around seems the 1070 has problems too.

So my question is this for us that have spent $$$$ in alienware and high end components.....who is responsible for driver/bios issues we are having and when will this be sorted out ?

Alienware engineers claiming that both 1080 and 1070 work !!!  Which is not the case !!!!

14 Posts

June 19th, 2016 09:00

I tried both the 100x desktop driver and notebook driver and seems the notebook driver more stable but still I get issues

79 Posts

June 19th, 2016 09:00

The 1070 and 1080 work perfectly fine with the graphics amplifier only if you have the desktop drivers that support them installed on your alienware laptop, the reason why they dont currently function correctly now on the alienware laptops is because the laptop drivers by nvidia do not have support for the 1070 and 1080.. What you can do is you can install the desktop drivers and use the amplifier but the problem you would face then is when you disconnect the amplifier and use the onboard graphics (gtx 970m or 980m) they wont function correctly since the desktop driver is installed... My advice is to wait for an updated driver from NVIDIA.

13 Posts

June 19th, 2016 15:00

My current setup is alienware 15 r2 i7 nvidia 970m 6700hq 16gbddr4 1tb hd and alienware graphic amplifier with Evga gtx 1080 FE bios 1.2.8 and nvidia laptop driver 368.39.

Gtx 1080 Factory clock-Firestrike graphic score 21,818

I had an issue earlier with my GTX 1080, the pci bus speed showing 3.0 x2 instead of 3.0 x4 and i was running bios 1.2.14 with driver nvidia dekstop 368.25 then used the laptop nvidia driver 368.39 however it didnt fix the issue.

I contacted alienware tech 07jun16 and was advised to updated to recent bios to 1.2.14 :s, which was the most insulting reply after 8 days of emails with tech support and feedback from their "ENGINEERS" , and I already sent them full detailed report on my bios and drivers using their factory installed support assist tool and one of the tech guys already checked my laptop using remote access 

What I did was DOWNGRADE BIOS to 1.2.2 and the pci bus speed was reading 3.0 x4 as it supposed to and I tried bios 1.2.8 which also worked. I contacted alienware and reported this so they might look at this issue and retest their system especially that they are misleading customers. This link confirms what im saying http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN302343

What enraged me also is that I had similar case in may with a different gpu. I've contacted alienware on 17may16 with similar issue when i had AMD r9 390 in my amplifier  and i was running bios 1.2.13 and alienware's reply was that they dont support the r9 300's series and below is the full reply with a link they provided for supported cards

(We can't confirm the full functionality of 3rd party devices that aren't on the list of supported devices for the Graphics Amplifier. The Bus my be affected due to this because the Official driver that should be used is the one from DELL.com, and as you mentioned, there is no driver for this video card because it isn't officially supported.)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiOP-GaVEAAWWr1.jpg:large

After 10 days of talking to them explaining that its an issue that needs to be solved and that my pci bus speed is reading 3.0 x4 when I first install latest amd driver but after a restart it goes back to pci express 3.0 x2 and remains like at this speed, no one assisted me. I found this link which *** me of as it is the case with all amd card even r9 200 series they claim to support. https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN300264

So I sold the amd r9 390 and bought EVGA GTX 1080 FE. 

These are only some of the issues alienware graphic amplifier owners are facing add to that FAST SYNC, ADAPTIVE VSYNC and DSR are missing from the nvidia control panel. 

We need solutions,its ridiculous when any pc gamer can outperform in troubleshooting than their engineers and tech support.
Sorry for the long reply but if we stay silent no one will do anything.

79 Posts

June 19th, 2016 19:00

What nvidia forums ? I do not have an account there.

62 Posts

June 19th, 2016 19:00

The driver has been updated for the 1080 as of 6/7, please don't post if you don't have accurate information.  This same user is also posting the same stuff on the NVIDIA forum.  Personally, I don't seem to have an issue on my AGA with an NVIDIA direct GTX 1080 FE.  Ran fallout 4 and it popped up to 1800+ clock under load and then dropped right back down to idle speeds.  I would run a clean install of the latest mobile driver version and see if that helps - and instead of obsessing about 3D Mark scores try running it in real games, to check the clock make sure you have the latest version of MSI afterburner installed, the beta 4 release, and aren't running any performance or fan profiles.

62 Posts

June 19th, 2016 20:00

Also, the drivers are still very new, so it's going to take a bit to get all of the kinks worked out.

13 Posts

June 20th, 2016 02:00

Well alienware need to update its drivers and recheck its bios 1.2.14 because all AGA users with 1080 gtx are downgrading the bios for proper performance. But alienwares solution to any issue submitted is UPDATE bios to 1.2.14! So Godswhisper claims remain legit until alienware does something.

and so no one comes and say this isnt accurate here is one of the forums that shows users struggling and using workaround for the 1080gtx to work with aga( while alienware claims its support amplifiers support for the 1080 gtx since day one!)

https://na.alienwarearena.com/forums/thread/128292/general-1/gtx-1080-gtx-1070-and-graphics-amplifier-faq

14 Posts

June 20th, 2016 03:00

presently am using bios 1.2.2 and latest nvidia notebook drivers. I get 144XX benchmark on firestrike and internal monitor. 

If I repeat test after few minutes without rebooting my alienware 15R2 the benchmark decreases and continues to decrease if I repeat again and again.

13 Posts

June 20th, 2016 04:00

@Godwisper 

On friday 17jun I contacted alienware again asking them to investigate the issues with the alienware 15 r2 and the 1080 gtx, and they claim they will reply in 24 to 48 business hours. I will keep you posted if you want. regards

No Events found!