Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2014 06:00

Alienware M17x-R4 Discrete Graphics not detected in Bios.

Hi, I've been struggling to fix my laptop for several months, now.  I have an Nvidia Geforce GTX 660m 2gb card that simply refuses to be detected in the bios or device manager.  I contacted Dell and had my laptop shipped to them THREE times as well as had two technicians sent to my house... with no success at fixing my laptop. (obviously something is not being done right there... but it's out of my hands)  I was issued a refund and an apology for not being able to fix my laptop.  I have gone through every troubleshoot article possible step by step...  I've wiped my system clean so many times... reinstalled the operating system... downloaded drivers multiple times... done everything from reflashing the bios... to removing the cmos battery... to pulling out the graphics card and replacing it with a brand new one... completely disassembled my laptop and made sure every single part worked which took over a week to finish doing... I've searched for months trying to find information online that would fix my problem.  I haven't found a single solution.  I desperately want to fix my laptop... and I can't believe Dell can't fix it... If anyone has any information about M17x R4's not detecting the dedicated graphics in the bios and the fix for it... please let me know as soon as possible.  I'm willing to try anything at this point. Also, one thing to note is simply downloading the drivers for the card does not work... the card doesn't show in device manager either...  Also, I've heard in bios there is supposed to be an option for peg/sg under the advanced tab... well I looked through that and did not find that at all in my bios.  Also, I updated to the latest bios with no success... I've tried disabling the integrated graphics through device manager... then using the switchable graphics option fn+f7... no success... I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the OnScreenDisplay from Dell... I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything on the Dell site for my laptop service tag.  I've also run 5 different anti-virus software... anti rootkits.. antimalware.. with nothing wrong detected on any of these scans. I don't know what else to do.

1.8K Posts

July 16th, 2014 17:00

Hi lewi7039,

I'd like to review your case further. Please send me a private message (click my Alienware-username in blue, click Send a Private Message) with your Service Tag and contact information.

4 Posts

November 17th, 2014 06:00

So, the response given to me in email is that you have issued me a repair refund of around 180 dollars but cannot fix my laptop... so I'm stuck with a broken laptop you guys can't fix?

11 Posts

November 17th, 2014 07:00

How long had you had the laptop before this issue occurred (or is it from day one)? Were there any signs that you recall or the card just didn't show up, out of nowhere?

My sympathies for what you're facing...

4 Posts

November 19th, 2014 10:00

I bought the laptop in May of 2012.  Never had a single problem with the laptop until out of the blue, when I tried to switch over to the discrete graphics from integrated (function plus f7)... I noticed an extreme perfomance lag with many high demand programs... so I looked in dxdiag... and the dedicated graphics card didn't show up... so I checked device manager... the only thing there was Intel HD 4000 (integrated). I tried a whole number of step by step instructions from dell... finally, I contacted dell to have it fixed... they replaced the motherboard and the graphics card, supposedly, a whole three times... two of the three times, they sent out a technician... the technicians couldn't fix it...  I really enjoyed Alienware.  Never had a single problem... but I've noticed online there are quite a number of problems with the m17x r4 laptops with the switchable graphics option... I just can't believe the company that made the laptop can't even fix it.

No Events found!