Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2017 13:00

Gpu upgrde question

Hello everyone this is my first time posting here ^.^
I got an x51 r3 the i3-6100 3.7 ghz ,8gb ram and GeForce gtx 745 gpu ((just how it came from factory))

I got a 1050ti 4gb from a friend,it uses no external power connectors.I was thinking of upgrading my alienware with it but I got a question:
from factory I got the 180w ((says so on the back label)) power brick,so far it has worked perfectly with this gpu it has but I read in some other sites to upgrade the gpu I would need to upgrade the power brick too.Does the 1050ti 4b with no external power connector would draw moren power than my gtx 745 or it can be safe to upgrade with this brick? Thank you so much for reading this and I hope some of you can help me with this.Have a nice day

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 13th, 2017 10:00

Hi,

That video card does not require much power, it should work well with 180W.

1.2K Posts

March 13th, 2017 11:00

yea it should   be fine   without problems based on rest of  your specs aswell..  based on roughly guessing it draws about 25-35  watts more  then the 745gtx  at full load (exact model dependent)

roughly at full load your gonna draw around the limit of   the psu  cpu full is 50 ish and video is 75 ish ..

then add hard drive,ram, board, keyboard/mouse, headset? anything else plugged-in powered by it..

so if    upgrading   anything else I   would advise a bigger brick...  otherwise rock  on..  

I'm on a 1070 and 6700k .. tiny powerhouse of a machine I must say :)

No Events found!