Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

1 Message

June 4th, 2019 06:00

13 R3, utter disappointment

I bought my Alienware 13 R3 in July of 2017. Originally, it worked as expected: decent frame rates with mid-high settings.  Fast-forward just over a year and now the thing will not run anything under thermal-throttling limits.  As I know this was out of warranty by this point, I tried to find a solution.  This lead me to reapplying thermal pads and even stepping up from the junk originally applied to the GPU for liquid metal (Grizzly Conductonaut); all this gives me idels of 50-60*C; however, games still find issues staying under thermal limits.  I've resorted to running Intel's EXT at every boot to keep the CPU undervolted, and running Afterburner in the same way just to keep it under thermal limits. BTW, it still thermal throttles even while sitting on a "laptop cooler" and a full-size room fan sitting next to, and pointed directed at, it. 

And this is my frustration:

This is a top-of-the-line machine; one poised to be able to add an eGPU to down the line to prolong its life.  Your R&D did not properly test it, or management told you "it just need to last through warranty"; either way, it is quite evident by all of the similar reports of this (for the 15 R as well).  I am appalled by this product.  I was hoping for something small enough to be mobile with, but able to game lightly when doing so, and to eventually come home and use an eGPU to up my enjoyment.  But, because of the sheer lack of care put into this device, I will forever have a sour taste for your products.  You used to be THE name in quality, now it's just a smokescreen for your current agenda.

Thank goodness I had enough foresight to get Accidental Damage on this because, at these temperatures, there is no way it will last the life of that warranty.  And you can be sure that I'll be switching to an actual Ultrabook, by one of your competitors, to pair with my eGPU when the time comes.

June 9th, 2019 01:00

Soo your mad your 13 R3 is under-performing. Can be a few things. Driver issues. Try using one of the GPU Drivers.. issue persists, go to the one Alienware/Dell last posted for the unit. As far as trying out Liquid Metal. Never a good idea to apply it to a Laptop.. and pretty sure it would void any warranty damage to the unit due to it being Liquid Metal thus, voiding AHD warranty... but your part. As far as that, most issues with heat pretain to the build up of dust upon the fan of which require ideally with laptop on.. a light blow of can of compressed air into the fan so you don't spin the fan the wrong way. .. Have you tried resetting windows to a fresh install considering all the issues with Windows 10, it can actually be an issue within windows itself due to all the bad updates Microsoft has been releasing. My wife has a 15 R2 from 2016 and it's still going strong as if it was bought new yesterday... I personally cant knock Alienware/Dell for they have the longest running laptop I have owned.. and I have owned many others prior. Asus HP Toshiba (R.I.P)

1 Message

December 3rd, 2020 09:00

I've got to say, I don't disagree with OP. It seems that they have smashed it out of the park with GPU cooling, only to negate it with substandard CPU cooling. This is a known issue with the r3 model, and generally seems to be a result of cpu core imbalance caused by a poorly manufactured heatsink. Like OP I have pulled the laptop apart, cleaned it thoroughly, repasted a number of times with various highly rated thermal pastes (though I haven't tried liquid metal, don't trust my skills) and tried every external cooling solution known to man. As a known issue I would have expected Dell to have offered out of warranty repair to this issue, but instead want to charge hundreds to fix something that even they have admitted is a manufacturer defect, albeit one that typically doesn't present until after warranty expiry. This is my first alienware, and will be my last. Tbh, I've kind of been put off of gaming laptops, and will go back to desktops that I know I can repair without having to sheel out huge sums of money for manufacturer repair costs. 

No Events found!