15 R2, AGA, upgrade to RTX 2070 Super?

Hi all,

I've got an Alienware 15 R2 with the following spec:

i7-6820HK

4k display (IGZO IPS 300-nits)

16Gb 2133 MHz DDR4 memory

2 x 512GB M2 SSD

Nvidia GTX 980M (8GB DDR5)

I've also got a AGA with a Nvidia GTX 980 Ti installed.

My question is this - is it worth upgrading the graphics gard in the AGA to something like a RTX 2070 or 2080 Super or am I likely to hit performance bottlenecks because of the processor / memory etc in the laptop? This is assuming I can find an RTX 2070 Super that fits (suggestions are welcome!)

Cheers,

Steve

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 26th, 2020 16:00

I have a Alienware 18 that has 4 cores and 8 threads at 4.6Ghz with no bottlenecks 4940MX.

My 15 R1 has a 4710HQ 4 cores and 8 threads at 3.7Ghz or at max clock settings like i did it’s at 4.1Ghz.

i have the RTX 2080 and the Titan X with no bottlenecks on both computers.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 26th, 2020 17:00

@the_mek0n  Can't answer the value question, but the AGA is designed to fit full-length, full-height, double-width GPUs.  Those dimensional terms refer to industry standards, and I'm not aware of any GPU on the market that exceeds those dimensions.  The only other consideration is power, but since the AGA is confirmed to work with the 2080 Ti, it would work with the 2070 Super.  That said, if you've already got a 980 Ti, then unless there's some game that you're just itching to play right now, you might want to wait for the 3000 Series cards to launch, because that way you'll either get a larger performance jump for the same price, or you'll be able to get a 2070 Super for less.

@Alienware Area-51 ALX 2006  With respect to your claim that you don't have any bottlenecks, what is that based on?  First of all, there's always a bottleneck somewhere, because by definition there will always be some component that's the slowest in the chain.  It's just a question of where that is (and it might vary based on workload).  But even assuming you meant to say, "My GPU isn't bottlenecked by the rest of my system," I'm curious what you're looking at in order to be confident making that claim.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 26th, 2020 19:00

My RAM on my 15 is 32Gb at 1600mhz with a modded 120Hz display @1080p. My GPU is the RTX 2080. I have no bottlenecks because my FPS isn’t stuttering and I’m playing smoothly on ultra settings with 8x Anisotropic filtering with ambient occlusion set to graphics instead of performance and I’m on full power.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 26th, 2020 20:00

@Alienware Area-51 ALX 2006  That's nice, but that's not what "no bottlenecks" means.  The question the OP was asking is, "If I spend the money on a 2070 Super, will I be able to use it to its full potential, or are other components in my system going to become a bottleneck that will prevent the 2070 Super from delivering a framerate level it would otherwise be able to?"  For example, if you drop a high-end GPU into a system with a slow CPU, then you might still be able to get a stable high framerate -- let's say 80 fps -- but the GPU might still not be generating as high a framerate as it could if it was installed in a system with a fast CPU.  That GPU might be able to deliver a stable 95 fps if it was used in a system that had a faster CPU.  So at that point, you would have wasted money on that high-end GPU because you're not able to use it to its full potential.  In that case, it would have made more sense to buy a lower-end, less expensive GPU that could STILL hit that same 80 fps performance level.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 26th, 2020 20:00

Ahhh yes, I understand. 4 cores and 8 threads is decent to run with at most a RTX 2060 unless you have a Extreme edition version of a 4 core and 8 thread cpu. The RTX 2070 super is made for 6 cores or higher.

4 Posts

July 27th, 2020 00:00

Thank you all!

I guess my question could have been more specific, as in, can I make the most of the 2070 Super, given the processor etc that my laptop has.

Here's another one, which is why I asked the first one. Do you think my laptop with an RTX 2070 Super in the AGA could run Borderlands 3 (for instance) at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 with 60+ FPS? That is, with a graphics setting of Medium, or preferably High.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 27th, 2020 07:00

Probably since I found out by playing borderlands 3 with my AREA-51M with the RTX 2080 and the i9-9900K didn’t really make much of a difference compared to my 4 core and 8 thread Alienware 15 R1 with the AGA RTX 2070 Super.

BTW... My FPS on both Laptops was above 60. Your only limited to what display option you have. I modded my 15 to have the 120Hz option found on the R2.

24 Posts

July 28th, 2020 08:00

So far I can´t recommend the AGA. Stay away as much as you can from it.

I have loaded a 5600XT and it simply doesn't work. Games go in super low FPS, other gams make strange graphics, benchmark tools do not recognize the GPU. 

It is simply taking too much effort to make it working that I simply cant recommend the AGA.

24 Posts

July 28th, 2020 08:00

I am afraid that both of us have the same problem. Our GPU is not compatible with the AGA.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/AGA-Alienware-Graphic-Amplifier-FAQ/m-p/7243433

As you can see the 2070 Super is not supported by AGA, furthermore, even if it was supported some OEM change the bios making them incompatible with AGA. 

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 28th, 2020 10:00

It supports all GPUs from the 900 series to the 2080Ti. The super is a higher clocked version of the 2070 with a bit more performance closer to a 2080 max q.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 28th, 2020 12:00

But it even says that it can handle the Radeon RX5700 XT fine?

24 Posts

July 28th, 2020 12:00

Thank you very much for your comment and all of your support ;). 

Well, 2060 is not on the compatible list albeit I won't say that this is simply an oversight of Alienware. Latest Radeon GPU are not supported. 

Now I have changed my XT5600 for RX2060, technically it works, but it doesn't fit well to the AGA. Note that you cant find anywhere which it's the size of supported cards.

Also they claim that some modifications on the BIOS made by the manufacturer may make the GPU not compatible with the AGA.

And still not happy AT ALL due to sound issues for both cards. And for lack of "official support".

4 Posts

July 28th, 2020 13:00

I have to agree that I'm finding the AGA simply not worth the effort. My laptop hasn't been used for a couple of months, and I turned it on yesterday. Updated everything (Windows, Nvidia drivers, Alienware updates including BIOS).

Now, when the AGA is connected, it is detected but the graphics card is not. Everything runs using the integrated graphics. It was all working fine before I updated everything.

I've tried reinstalling the graphics driver and the BIOS but nothing is working. Admittedly, I've changed the internal fan and PSU in the AGA (to an Antec 600W). But as I said, it was working fine before updating. The graphics card is getting power as the LEDs are coming on and the fans are working, it's just not being seen by the system.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 28th, 2020 13:00

@kondenado  The Super series came out after the non-Super and Ti cards launched, so cards not being listed on a table included in a post from February 2019 isn't necessarily confirmation that it isn't compatible.  If you spend any time looking at the system compatibility lists of various Dell accessories, you'll find all sorts of cases where they don't list systems that came out after that accessory was developed even though the new systems work with said accessory just fine.  Maybe Dell just neglects updating them and/or won't put the effort into testing an accessory's forward compatibility with new systems forever.  But even if that means it isn't actually certified, it doesn't mean it won't actually work.

In your case, having an AMD GPU installed in an AGA connected to a system with an NVIDIA GPU could be part of the issue.  I realize that the AGA compatibility list does include AMD GPUs and that (as far as I know) all Alienware systems that the AGA supports use only NVIDIA GPUs at least for now, but people mixing GPU brands do seem to have more issues than people who don't.

No Events found!