Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

6 Posts

February 26th, 2019 04:00

15 R2, charger is not recognized problem

Hello all,

So here is my dilemma, probably the dilemma of many Dell clients, hence the reason I no longer purchase Dell laptops at my company. 4 Years ago I personally purchased a Dell Alienware 15 R2, Well I did not actually purchase it outright. I asked for a quote online and before I could say yes i want it, they shipped to me anyways. I then got charged for it 3 months later( 3 months less of warranty)

So once I received it , I figured I would keep it, it looked nice. So being so busy at work I did not have too much time to play around with it. The months passed by, then the laptop started to become slow, i just figured it was Windows being Windows, so i did not think anything of it. Then a few months down the line, after a boot I would get a warning saying cannot charge battery because it does not recognize the power adapter, and it limits the speed of the laptop to a mind numbing speed of 900MHz, rather than 3.4GHz, making it pretty much useless to use for anything other than typing an email. I have a 15 year old Compaq AMD single cpu laptop that is way faster than this piece of garbage I have now. With all that said, I have only used the supplied power adapter that I got with the laptop, so go figure?

So I Googled around and saw that many others having same issues. So by this time I am out of warranty, how convenient for Dell, a gold mine in after sales parts! So I bought a 240w power supply from Dell, because they do not have 180w anymore. Tried that new power adapter and same thing, there goes $172 out the window. Being in the IT business for over 25 years, and having hardware experience, I decided to change the the DC jack as mentioned in numerous articles, that did not work either, but that only cost me $20 and 2 hours of my time to swap it out.

Now I was thinking of changing the battery, but not sure that will actually do anything, but who knows with the way Dell designs these laptops, Another battery will run me $100 bucks or so and more time. And if that does not work, whats next, motherboard?

So I am looking for advice here. Should I simply scrap the laptop, and try to forget the $1800 I spent on it and sell it on eBay as is for $50, use it as a paper weight? Or try to fix it more?

Because of this personal experience and the fact that I have 45 Dell laptops at work and 7 of them have same issues, I no longer purchase Dell Products other than Dell Monitors. I buy Lenovo laptops, they are more expensive but way better quality and no stupid power supply problems like Dell!

Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks and have a great day!

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

February 26th, 2019 05:00

A number of suggestions in the following Dell support page.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

February 26th, 2019 07:00

Hahaha, you don't think I have tried that and many other things already?

No Events found!