Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Message

March 17th, 2019 08:00

15 R3, Will an AGA help with overheating?

Hi

I have for some time experienced problems with overheating with my Alienware 15r3

Re-pasting the CPU and disabling the CPU turbo boost when gaming solved the FPS drop and stutter for a lot of games. But I have noticed now that for some heavy games, the FPS drop every 10 seconds or something returns, and I suspect this is still to overheating. 

I have tried many of the different methods in terms of trying to lower the temperature, laptop cooler, power settings etc, but they all seem to have limited efficiency. 

So I suppose I wonder, how much would gaming with a AGA (alienware graphics amplifier) help with CPU overheating, as the graphics card next to the CPU would not be active?

Many Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 18th, 2019 10:00

Hi @philipgronberg,

Yes, an AGA should make a difference.

March 19th, 2019 19:00

You can try undervolting both the CPU and GPU, that will help improve temperature and hopefully will fix your stuttering problem. This can be done through software and really quite easy.

March 20th, 2019 21:00

@philipgronberg wrote:

Hi

I have for some time experienced problems with overheating with my Alienware 15r3

Re-pasting the CPU and disabling the CPU turbo boost when gaming solved the FPS drop and stutter for a lot of games. But I have noticed now that for some heavy games, the FPS drop every 10 seconds or something returns, and I suspect this is still to overheating. 

I have tried many of the different methods in terms of trying to lower the temperature, laptop cooler, power settings etc, but they all seem to have limited efficiency. 

So I suppose I wonder, how much would gaming with a AGA (alienware graphics amplifier) help with CPU overheating, as the graphics card next to the CPU would not be active?

Many Thanks

How old is the unit? If it's a year old, have you tried blowing out the fans lightly with a can of compressed air?

No Events found!