Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 3rd, 2018 02:00

15 R3, Windows/Start Key Requires FN

I own an Alienare 15 R3 running Win 10 Enterprise.

Suddenly yesterday while using a bunch of shorcuts for a CAD program, accidentally my Windows key stopped working.

Found this topic locked :

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Windows-Start-Key-Requires-FN/m-p/5161713#M931474

but the solution offered :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/216893/how-to-enable-or-disable-the-keyboard-windows-key

is way to complicated.

So, with a little search, found the super fast solution to this issue.

Just press FN+6 to lock or unlock the Windows key !

12 Posts

October 3rd, 2018 03:00

SORRY misstyped !!!

Just press FN + F6 to lock or unlock the Windows key !

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 31st, 2019 07:00

Out of curiosity, for the people where Fn+F6 disables the Windows key, what is the icon on that key to indicate that functionality?  On my Latitude 7480, the Fn graphic on the F6 key is Scroll Lock.

@WAR12  if your system doesn't have a Fn key dedicated to disabling the Windows key (I didn't even realize that was a thing), then you could use a tool like Autohotkey to cause Windows to ignore it.  Autohotkey is a hugely powerful application that can do all kinds of things, but if you just want it to block your Windows key sometimes, create a script with this as its only line:

#::return

In the line above, "#" is how Autohotkey refers to the Windows key.  The double colon ends the "trigger" key combination (you can have Autohotkey react to various key combinations and sequences, not just individual keys), and "return" ends the action statement.  A more typical Autohotkey scenario would be something like, "When this key combination is pressed, send this key sequence/output or perform this action", so you'd have those commands between the trigger key combination and return, but having no action is still a valid script, and the result is that when the script is active in Autohotkey, nothing at all will happen when you press the Start key.

From there you can set the script to be loaded at startup if you want to Windows key to be disabled most of the time, or you can just keep it in a readily accessible location and enable/disable it as needed.

1 Message

May 12th, 2019 01:00

I have been looking for a solution to this for an hour or so on Google and other forum.

Tried all the solutions they provided as "Winkey not working" but none of them worked. 

I am so glad that I found this thread and it worked like a charm!

I just reset my windows due to some system error and I thought I was going through that all over again. 

Thanks a lot! 

2 Posts

June 5th, 2019 08:00

THANK YOU BROTHER!

1 Message

August 5th, 2019 10:00

THANKS YOU SO MUCH!

1 Message

October 17th, 2019 03:00

My first alienware laptop and this win key has been driving me crazy. Playing an MMO while converting from console to pc .... I mean in a dungeon fighting a boss and boom win key pop up!! 

Your answer is great!  

1 Message

December 7th, 2019 16:00

whenever i press it it just keeps telling me its disabled. it doesnt enable it or anything

1 Message

December 23rd, 2019 00:00

Thank you!

1 Message

December 31st, 2019 05:00

Fn+F6 increases brightness in my Legion laptop. What do I do?

2 Posts

March 27th, 2020 19:00

I tried everything I saw... and nothing worked... until I found your publication... THANK YOU! You made my month!! 

No Events found!