Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2020 03:00

17 R1, 2014, 8 beeps

After leaving it for 1 day it wont boot and keep beep 8 times after removing all ram 1 attached, dvd drive, hdd and 880m vga still beeps. 

Also i read about LCD failure and remove the lvds cable from motherboard still beep all the time. What can i do to solve this?

Thanks!

186 Posts

November 29th, 2020 19:00

1. There is a problem with the power supply. Unplug the battery and plug in the power supply. The power light is on, indicating that there is no problem with the power supply.

2. Consider that there is dust on the gold fingers of the memory sticks, or one of the two memory sticks is broken, then take off both memory sticks, and gently wipe their gold fingers clean with an eraser, try to only Insert a memory module, and test the two memory modules and the two memory sockets separately.

3. Consider the problem of the motherboard.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

November 28th, 2020 04:00

You cannot leave the cable disconnected or you will receive this error.

Reconnect the harness and run a screen diagnostic (hold D through powerup).  If the screen diagnostic does not show the test patterns, the screen is  faulty.  Replace it.

If it does, the cable, the video card or the mainboard is faulty.  Replace the cable first -- and if that doesn't solve it, replace the GPU next -- and so on.

November 28th, 2020 05:00

Re attach LVDS cable still 8 beeps no display even hdmi with external monitor no display?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

November 28th, 2020 07:00

That likely means you have a bad GPU or a bad system board.

You may want to try reseating the GPU (remove and reinstall it).  Or, simply leave it out of the system and see if the integrated GPU (on the CPU) will drive an external monitor, and boot correctly.  If it does, you've found the problem.  If not, it's almost certainly a bad system board.

November 28th, 2020 10:00

Removed Nvidia 880m give me no luck... Nor the display and still 8 beeps maybe you’re right about the mainboard... maybe it’s time to retired for this machine... Totally desprate for now but maybe tommorow i search another option to recover this machine.

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

November 29th, 2020 14:00

Do you have the Nvidia 3D display? It should have an Nvidia sticker on the laptop somewhere and the screen will be the true-life glossy display. If you do then it's likely that your GPU is dead.

The 3D 120Hz display requires a functioning Nvidia card to run the display so if the card fails then you will get the 8-beep LCD Error. Removing the card won't fix this error as the display still can't find an Nvidia card to run it. 

If you have the standard 60hz display (it will be a dull matte dispaly) and you are getting the 8-beep error then your LCD, LCD cable or motherboard is faulty. 

If you do have the 120hz display then you can replace the GPU without much trouble. If you want to keep costs down then I would find a 780M or 970M. The 880M was a horrible GPU with a high fail rate. A 780M is plug and play but a 970M will require a modded Nvidia driver, if you want the latest drivers. A better upgrade would be a 980M or you can even go for a 1060 or 1070.

November 30th, 2020 11:00

I have 60Hz display with 880M Nvidia and Windows 10 installed for almost 2 years. Yes it was crashed all the time when i use the 880m but somehow i power off the GPU and only leave the on board Intel GPU until i leave the laptop about 1 night not use then 8 beeps occured. I

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

November 30th, 2020 12:00

It sounds like a bad LCD then. It's rare but it does happen. It could still be the display cable or the motherboard connector but it's hard to know for sure unless you have a spare LCD to test. 

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

December 1st, 2020 07:00

Reply back when you try the solution.

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

December 1st, 2020 12:00

@Alienware Area-51 ALX 2006  just wondering why you accepted that as a solution. Did it solve the issue the OP had?

An 8 beep code shouldn't have anything to do with a power supply or memory issue so it seems a little odd. 

December 2nd, 2020 05:00

Ok so Same LDVS 40 pin 60Hz 1080 different brand will give me same display will no problem?

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

Oh sho...

I didnt mean that, Its because I was reading some online guide that was wrong with the beep codes thats why, Im sorry for the inconvenice.

Im already ordered cable and just imagine AU Optronics B173HW02 V.1 is the default LCD came from dell or other? Or maybe there other option to change other kind of lcd maybe LG or SAMSUNG panel?

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

well if it fits into place and/or it has the same connector and the same size.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

December 2nd, 2020 07:00

No, emphatically not.  Notebook systems are built with an EDID facility that has a table of displays used by the manufacturer in it.  If you use a panel not used by the ODM, it may work fine -- or it may result in a no-image situation until the operating system takes over (in other words, you won't be able to see the setup screens). It may also result in a corrupted or less than perfect display.

You cannot buy panels on connector type and specification with any measure of certainty.  You will want a replacement panel known to have shipped in your model system or one from perhaps a closely timed predecessor or successor generation.  If you stray outside of those parameters, be sure you understand your seller's restocking fee policy -- you may well find you need it.

No Events found!