Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

17 Posts

January 24th, 2019 14:00

17 R4, AGA, GTX 1080Ti, Windows 10 freeze sign in

hello all,

hoping that someone can help. just got a new Alienware 17 R4 with i7 7700HQ and Nvidia 1070.

I also got Alienware Graphics Amplifier and put 1080 Ti in it. i followed all the instructions on how to install the drivers and Amplifier drivers and when I restart the laptop, it gets to the windows sign-in and then freezes.

I have to reboot in safe mode and remove the drivers from device manager in order to get it back to normal.

Even if i disconnect the Amplifier it won't boot all the way and freeze at windows login until i go to safe mode and uninstall the Nvidia drivers.

then i have to reinstall 1070 drivers to get it back to normal.

i tried with two different cards inside the Amplifier - 1080 and 1080Ti. came issue with both.

Does anyone has a clue what else can be done before i send everything back??

Thank you!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 25th, 2019 14:00

Hi @hanilanzi ,

Update the machine's BIOS and install the latest driver for the video card in the PC before connecting the Amplifier again.

Make sure you has the Amplifier driver and finally you can reinstall the command center by following ALL the steps on this article.

17 Posts

January 25th, 2019 15:00

hi Alienware-Eimy,

i did all that and got a bit further.

i can use AGA on external monitor now but when i try to disconnect the AGA to take the laptop with me

it will have the same symptoms. gets to the Windows sign-in and freezes.

if i connect the AGA back on, then i can use it via 1080Ti on the external monitor and login to windows. 

when you say install the latest drivers for the video card are you referring to the drivers from nvidia's site or from Dell's site? nvidia does not offer 1080Ti notebook version of the driver, only up to 1080 and i've read somewhere that we're supposed to install laptop drivers and NOT deskptop version of it.

thank you!!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 29th, 2019 10:00

@hanilanzi,

You need to use the drivers from the Dell page.
And yes, you have to use the PC connected to an external monitor.

Now, for the freeze, the only thing left is to reinstall Windows. If that does not help, then the problem is compatibility with the AGA card most likely.

17 Posts

January 29th, 2019 10:00

"reinstall Windows" ?? you gotta be joking right? your solution is reinstall Windows? why didn't you just suggest to buy a new Laptop? SMH

1 Message

May 3rd, 2020 15:00

did you buy the new laptop?

* same issue

No Events found!