Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

3 Posts

July 23rd, 2020 00:00

17 R4, BIOS and blue screen issues

Sorry for the long story, I have no idea what exactly is wrong or where to look.

My Alienware was working perfectly for 2 years, until it's charger started to break. The chargers wires started pulling and eventually became exposed by the time I got a new charger. During the time of using the breaking charger, the laptop started getting pretty hot. It started having really bad screen stuttering issues and made my games unplayable. Once that issue started, I stopped using the laptop until the new charger came in. In comes the new charger, and everything is running great again! For like 2 days. I started getting the dreaded bsod. Then, it started telling me there's no media presence. Yes, I checked to make sure all my windows files were intact and present, and yes I made sure my bios had the windows boot manager as priority #1. The issue was persisting, there's no hardware issues, so I checked for a bios update, got the most recent version from Dell, and now my windows boot manager is sometimes missing from my boot options. Managed to boot the laptop and check my windows files again, it's all there. But the boot option is still disappearing, I'm still getting blue screens every 15-60 minutes (if I can even boot), and I'm just at a loss of what could be wrong. I went through Dell's blue screen check, and couldn't find any crash or force shut down logs in the Problem Reports. 

My boot settings are:

Boot List Option [UEFI]

Secure Boot [Disabled]

Legacy Option ROMs [Enabled]

Boot Option #1 [Windows Boot Manager] (if it's there.)

#2 IPv4

#3 IPv6

Please help. Its been a month of confusion and blue screens.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 23rd, 2020 07:00

Set it to secure boot: on and reinstall windows 10 completely. And make sure your temps are in check and put some new thermal paste and thermal pads on your computer.

here’s your bios:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=r0d7d&oscode=wt64a&productcode=alienware-17-laptop

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

July 28th, 2020 23:00

There's a chance that your drive is failing. Press f12 while booting to get into the Boot menu and select the diagnostic. It will run through all your hardware, including your storage drives and it will hopefully pick up an issue if there is one. 

You may need to replace your OS drive

July 28th, 2020 23:00

The solution worked for a day. Now it's back to blue screens and it can't detect media. Its not allowing me to get past my boot options. Windows boot manager is gone again.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 29th, 2020 06:00

Good job @mattyb3 .

July 30th, 2020 13:00

Unfortunately, it runs a diagnostic scan on my hardware nearly every time it crashes. So far nothing is detected as wrong. Also, for clarification, the windows reinstall was the fresh start option. I don't want to fully lose my data and start over, but it's seeming like the only option at this point. 

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 30th, 2020 14:00

They doing it off a usb but but your data to an external hdd before doing the usb media creation tool.

1 Message

September 29th, 2020 07:00

After getting the laptop cleaned it was running smoothly for a few days at a lower temp and then it revered back to the same bsod errors I was facing earlier. Ran a memtest86 to check the health of Ram, and found no errors. No errors returned on running the diagnostic tests either. 

No Events found!