Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 30th, 2019 15:00

17 R4, keyboard keys not working

Hello

I have an alienware 17r4 that I bought from Best buy.  About a month ago the F4 comma and delete keys stopped working.  They would start working again every now and then but now has completely stopped.  I tried reseating the KB cable but that didn't seem to help.  I tried an external keyboard and it works fine.  

I searched google for this issue and it seems like there are many occurrences of this happening where random keys would stop working.  Has there been a solution to this other than replacing the keyboard?  I believe my laptop is already out of warranty.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

April 30th, 2019 16:00

Hi @coppil

Yes, looks like the keyboard needs replacement. 

If you are not sure if your warranty has expired, you can send me a private message and I can check.

8 Posts

May 10th, 2021 16:00

Well I am back. I replaced my keyboard in 2019 and everything was fine until now. Now the new keyboard is doing the exact same thing except its different keys not working...

These keyboards are obviously defective. Get your stuff together DELL.

3 Posts

September 13th, 2021 01:00

Good day all. I believe I have found what is causing this issue where F4, Comma and Del keys are not working. This happens when downloading the latest graphics card drivers from the nVidia site. To test, I have uninstalled, reinstalled again and again different versions from nVidia directly. When no driver installed, the keys work, when driver is installed, keys stop working. I then made sure to download the June 2021 driver from DELL and everything now works like it should. Do not use nVidia to update your drivers. 

3 Posts

September 19th, 2021 07:00

I would like to give an update. I found the most stable version of Nvidia and the key problem is way back to November 2020 - Nvidia Driver Version 457.30. 

December 2020 update is where the problems started for me.

8 Posts

May 17th, 2019 16:00

Just an update.  I replaced the keyboard and everything seems to be working properly now.

May 19th, 2019 13:00

On my keyboard a couple of the keys got switched somehow, "a" was "h" or something like that. weird. I had to install a key hacker program and switch the key inputs and keep the program running in the background. problem solved sorta.

1 Message

August 25th, 2019 05:00

Hello,

I should start a new topic, but it seems I have similar problem. Keyboard from my 17 r4 (i7 6700HQ, GTX 1070) was replaced by warranty service  but after a few months this problem returns. Different keys doesn't work. This problem exists only on cold start (cold boot) of the laptop, after a few minutes all keys works properly. It's British layout.

Cheers,

Kamil

November 11th, 2019 11:00

I have a Dell Inspiron 15  5000 series, laptop.  Just recently my spacebar stopped working. I have to press it 2-3 times to  get a space,

1 Rookie

• 

67 Posts

November 15th, 2019 14:00

It defies all logic to me (because HID drivers are HID drivers, pretty much), but I think it's a Windows build that's breaking it.  I bought a replacement keyboard, it worked...and then shortly after that on the same day, "Windows needs to install build 19_03!"  Okay, no problem...except now the new keyboard was just as borked as the original one.

Later that same day, "Feature update 19_10!"  Okay, fine Microsoft, you update-crazy nut-nut. 

Still no fix.

So I tried a clean install of Win 10 x64 19_03 using an ISO on a thumb drive.  Still no change.  Even the BIOS doesn't see the keyboard.  

I took it all apart, power cycled the laptop (no battery in, hold down power button for 30 seconds while unplugged), reinstalled the keyboard, turned it all back on--still nothing.

Well, *almost* nothing.  At this point the Windows key works.  There's some irony there but I'm not in the mood to unpack it.

Command Center still sees the keyboard and AlienFX still applies lighting to it just fine.  I think something about these terrible recent builds from Microsoft has broken the driver in some way.

I realize I can use a USB keyboard, I'm just annoyed and, honestly, I'm a problem-solver.  I want to find a solution for this one!

1 Rookie

• 

67 Posts

November 15th, 2019 14:00

Hrm...forgot that model numbers have changed over time.  Mine is an M17x R4.

1 Message

November 20th, 2019 13:00

I have a 17R4 (i7-7700hq) and one day I received a windows update and a geforce experience drivers update. Since then Im sitting with a keyboard with the delete/insert key and the comma/less than key  not working. 

I have no idea whether I should do a reinstall of windows and because I currently have an important time of my semester going but then it's also quite irritating to not have a comma/delete key (although I'm using the numberpad delete key now) 

I also tried reinstalling the keyboard drivers once but that did not help either. 

Can someone help me with this?

671 Posts

November 20th, 2019 14:00

Please send a Private Message to the @DELL-Cares account. We ask you to please include your Service Tag, so we can open up a case and check what's the best approach we can take to solve that for you.

1 Rookie

• 

67 Posts

November 21st, 2019 13:00

I have an M17x R4 and was able to solve the issue but it involved

1) Shutting down

2) disconnecting power,

3) removing battery,

4) removing CMOS battery too, then

5) doing a power drain (hold down power for 30 seconds),

6) disconnect keyboard,

7) re-attach keyboard,

put everything back together.

If your laptop is still in support/warranty, I'd recommend letting Dell handle that for you.  If not, if you're also not squeamish about taking apart a laptop, use the Dell Service Manual and/or online "total teardown" videos to carefully make note of how to do this.  Be slow and meticulous because of little details--like how a half-dozen screws with the same label may actually be different sizes, so you need to be sure each screw goes back into its exact socket it came out of.

Hope this helps, but in the meantime the easiest workaround to get through your semester/deadlines is just to use a USB keyboard.  I did that for months before finally deciding to try and tackle the problem.

December 24th, 2019 12:00

How long did it take to replace the keyboard? And where did you replace it 

1 Rookie

• 

67 Posts

December 24th, 2019 21:00

Hi Jayleen6472!

It took me about 15 minutes to be slow and methodical about it, and I bought the keyboard from a website called cpumedics.com.  If you go with them, look closely at the description because while I used the part number from the underside of the keyboard, there are other very similar part numbers--you want to be sure it's the one from your country.  In my case that meant US.

There are videos for "Alienware M17x R4 keyboard replacement" on YouTube, so look a couple of 'em over and you can pause it, make notes, and easily ensure that you follow all the steps.  Keep track of which screws go where because I found the screws labeled "I" were of varying lengths.

This video from "Parts People" (parts-people.com ) helped me - they are also a great source for Dell parts, they just didn't have this keyboard.  This time I had a good experience with CPU Medics.

https://youtu.be/ZyR9afrTgEc

Hope this helps you!

No Events found!