mrpizat
1 Copper

17 R4 plugged in, not charging, #4

So, I keep seeing this issue on this discussion board with zero resolution. 

Like so many others, my Alienware can't seem to charge itself, even though it's using all of the equipment it came with. The bios detects the AC adapter just fine and claims that the battery is operating normally but if i allow the battery to drain at all (you know, like using a portable computing device without an outlet...like they were designed for) windows reports that the ac adapter is plugged in, not charging. 

This is ridiculous. a "top end" laptop shouldn't have this sort of issue. the best part is that it only presented itself shortly after I went out of warranty, so, from a hardware stand point, I can only assume that any fix is going to require $$. if it is faulty hardware and I do have to come out of pocket for it after only a little over a year of ownership, that will certainly make my next purchase decision easier. 

if anyone has an answer that will fix this clearly known issue, please let me know. it's getting really annoying. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
mrpizat
1 Copper

Re: Alienware 17 R4 Plugged in, not charging

well, now it seems that when i reboot im getting an error that the ac adapter is not recognized.... this is great.

0 Kudos
ChristVokill
1 Copper

I've been having the same issue as well. The laptop was working perfectly fine the other day and then all of a sudden when I started it up it said on the BIOS screen that it can't recognize the AC Power adapter that's plugged in which I have the one that came with the laptop. I've reset my laptop, the whole shut down and turn back on process, a hard shut off and even tried sleep mode but nothing works. I've seen people say you have to replace your battery but I'm looking for a free option and to know my battery isn't broken on a laptop I've had for a little over a year. I've also unplugged the adapter from both ends and there's nothing else plugged into the socket. Would also like an answer soon.

0 Kudos

Hi @mrpizat@ChristVokill,

Update the BIOS version to the latest.

Also, you can try a power drain: unplug every external device from the system, including the AC Adapter, then open the bottom cover, disconnect the battery cable and hold the power button for around a minute to drain all the power out.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Fonnie
1 Copper

I don't want to scare you, but end up becoming a fail motherboard. 

0 Kudos
mrpizat
1 Copper

discharged the battery and updated the bios. issue is still present. 

thoughts?

0 Kudos
HellsDisciples
3 Argentium

Time to replace the AC Cable and box. My wife's 15 R2 is having this issue. Luckily I have a back up AC power cable/box from my 15 R3 as the one that came with my unit couldn't supply current to my 15R3 properly. But given the 15 R2 is a 180w unit and this one is a 240w should be more than sufficient.

Check Amazon for yours... Not sure on your 17 R4 specs but if its a 1070 or higher look for a 240w or higher (check your box for its wattage, or check alienware.com parts for a new one and just order one through amazon. Wife's is $56 on amazon, DELL wants $80 for it...)

0 Kudos
mrpizat
1 Copper

What a piece of garbage. I've been using notebook computers for decades and never had an issue with a power block failing (especially with something that's supposed to be as high quality as an alienware). This isn't a wear and tear item and it's only just over a year old. 

I certainly hope the answer isnt to pay more money for the privledge of using something that has a known defect, especially if it's just going to fail again. 

0 Kudos
HellsDisciples
3 Argentium

@mrpizat wrote:

What a piece of garbage. I've been using notebook computers for decades and never had an issue with a power block failing (especially with something that's supposed to be as high quality as an alienware). This isn't a wear and tear item and it's only just over a year old. 

I certainly hope the answer isnt to pay more money for the privledge of using something that has a known defect, especially if it's just going to fail again. 

Check and see if your brick is manufactured by DELL or by another company. My 15 R3's brick was from another company. Replacement brick they sent me, IS manufactured by Dell themselves. Looking around the internet, says its the brick that's failing.

0 Kudos
mrpizat
1 Copper

Mine is showing Dell on the brick. made in china.

0 Kudos