Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

3 Posts

August 9th, 2020 12:00

17 R5, DisplayPort not displaying

I have Alienware 17 R5. It has both an Intel UHD Graphics 630 and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 adapters.

I've had an HP w2207 plugged directly into the HDMI port (using an HDMI to DVI adapter) without any problems.

I now want to connect my DellS2240T display and purchased a mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HEG8UY0).  I plugged in the adapter and connected it to the monitor and nothing displayed.

I swapped the two displays, plugging the Dell into the HDMI port and the HP into the DP adapter, and the problem persisted with the monitor plugged into the DP adapter.

I upgraded to all of the most recent drivers, including going to the Intel website and manually installing their latest driver (27.20.100.8476 from 7/8/2020),and the problem persisted.

The monitor on the DP does not appear in either the Windows Display Settings ("didn't detect another display), or in the NVIDIA Control Panel (Rigorous display detection was unable to find additional displays).

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions?

3 Posts

August 9th, 2020 13:00

@Mary G,

Hi.  Thanks for the quick reply.  I've reverted the Intel driver back to the Dell issued one, and the problem persists.

Are you saying that even though my laptop has both an external HDMI port and an external DisplayPort, they both can not be used at the same time?  I was under the impression that when I purchased the laptop, that it would support three monitors (counting the built-in as one of the three).

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 9th, 2020 13:00

You can't use Intel drivers on a Dell laptop. There is a warning on Intel's page about this. Reinstall the original Dell drivers that are customized for your exact model. Laptops rarely if ever get driver updates, but if they ever do, those must come from Dell.

About your second monitor--it is a third monitor since screen #1 is your built in screen. You cannot use the Integrated Intel video for an ext monitor. Use the Nvidia card for any external monitor. It might not be capable of running a 3rd screen.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 9th, 2020 14:00

@Mary G  Please stop posting bad information. It’s nice that you’re willing to spend time helping others, but bad information is worse than no information.

It is in fact possible to use drivers straight from Intel on Dell systems. It does require some extra work, but it can be done.

You can absolutely use an Intel GPU for an external display. I don’t know what you were thinking saying you couldn’t. How do you think laptops that have ONLY an Intel GPU manage to use external displays? Intel GPUs support 3 simultaneous independent displays, and all of them can be external if the laptop has the necessary ports for them. But in this case, the MiniDP output on this system is wired to the NVIDIA GPU, so the Intel GPU is irrelevant. And modern NVIDIA GPUs support up to 4 displays, which would be in addition to any displays driven by the Intel GPU.

And telling someone to just use the NVIDIA GPU for external displays doesn’t make sense. With only rare exceptions, systems don’t allow you to choose which GPU controls a display output port, so users don’t get a choice here.

Seriously, you wrote all of that bad information just based on a post where somebody had trouble using an adapter?

3 Posts

@jphughan 

Hi.  I've ordered the active mini-DP adapter and will give it a whirl.

Thanks

--Igor

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@Igor  I edited my earlier reply to you since I realized I posted a full-size DP to HDMI active adapter. I’ve replaced that with a link to a MiniDP to HDMI active adapter.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@Igor  The MiniDP output might might not support Dual Mode DisplayPort, which allows the output to switch to native HDMI signaling. That capability is optional on DP outputs and is required in order to use typical passive DP to HDMI adapters. You can try an active DP to HDMI adapter, which incorporates a converter chip that allows the system to send a native DP signal that gets converted to HDMI in the adapter, which means the source doesn’t need to support Dual Mode DisplayPort. Here’s one: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Supporting-Technology/dp/B00PJ3LSIG

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 9th, 2020 15:00

@Alienware Area-51 ALX 2006  I had already fixed that.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

August 9th, 2020 15:00

@jphughan that's a full displayport to hdmi adapter not a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

August 9th, 2020 20:00

Sorry for not noticing!

No Events found!