Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 21st, 2019 23:00

17 R5, Windows update problem

I'm having a major problem with my 17 R5 laptop, i own 2 desktops and 1 other laptop none of the others is having this problem. the problem im having is everytime i go to update windows it says "checking for updates" forever! 

I've tried SOO many troubleshooting things. you name it , i probably tried it. even Dell Tech support cant seem to figure this out! ive tried the worst case scenario . completely wiping windows, that worked for awhile. but the problem some how came back!

I even tried downloading a fresh windows 10 from Microsoft, put it on a USB drive. and installed it. the problem was fixed..... for awhile and then came back. i can only assume its coming from something Dell is forcing me to install. Alienware FX? Alienware control center? who knows. this is getting very frustrating !

So, everytime i want a Windows update, i pretty much have to wipe my Laptop clean. im getting NO error codes.

2 Posts

July 25th, 2023 10:00

I recently came into ownership of this same model and had the same problem. The problem also occurs when trying to install Windows 11 and update it. After much troubleshooting, I tracked the issue down to  bad driver updates labeled as "Intel Corporation - Extension - 3.1122.329.2" and "Intel Corporation - SoftwareComponent - 3.1122.329.2" the latter of which is the actual problematic one but is dependent on getting the first and may start downloading as soon as the first is installed, so it's easier to just block the first one. This is apparently some component of the Intel Killer WLAN driver but I couldn't find more details than that. As this is technically a driver you might be able to uninstall it from the Device manager without doing a fresh install but that's not the route I took.

Since the drive link to the previous solution is broken, my work around for this is as follows:

1. Download wushowhide.diagcab to a USB drive, ideally from the official microsoft link here. This will be needed later to hide the problematic driver update.
  2. Install Windows WITHOUT an Internet connection, i.e. selecting "I don't have Internet" and "Setup later" for the Microsoft account in the networking segment of installation.
  3. Once it boots, Open PowerShell as administrator and type "net stop wuauserv" to stop the windows update service. Some driver updates might still install in the background but I'm fairly sure the problematic one isn't one of them.
  4. Once the update service has stopped, connect to your network and run the wushowhide.diagcab file.
  5. Click "Next" then after a loading bar "Hide Updates" and then in the list that appears, find "Intel Corporation - Extension - 3.1122.329.2", check the box next to it, and click "Next"
  6. Once that completes close the window and go back to the PowerShell window and type "net start wuauserv" to restart the update service. After that there shouldn't be anymore issues with Windows Update.
isGoodTroubleshooting

15 Posts

May 21st, 2019 23:00

Edit.

After letting it check for updates for over an hour i just got an error msg "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. if you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help : (0x80080005). I have researched that code. and followed any and all troubleshooting methods i've found. still no fix

15 Posts

June 1st, 2019 22:00

Nothing? no one knows how to fix this? this is clearly a Dell software problem ,

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2019 14:00

Hi @Steellz

Send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can review your account.

1 Message

June 22nd, 2019 21:00

yes, everytime I do a windows 10 update, it breaks my pc. Essentially stops recognising wifi card and I can't get online. Hugely frustrating. I've updated the drivers, but still the problem persists

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 26th, 2019 09:00

Hi @Lanel

Send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can review your case.

2 Posts

September 24th, 2019 17:00

Hi

I am facing the same issue with the latest windows 10 pro update from September 10 2019.

until now I do not have any issues with my laptop(Alienware 17 R5). As a temporary fix, I disabled the windows updates. but when I resume the updates, unable to access few web pages. 

getting this error:

ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT. 

Tried almost all fixes available on internet and still unable to resolve the issue.  

1 Message

September 24th, 2019 21:00

Download Killer Wireless Driver Update Fix

Killer-1650W-1650X-1435-1535-WiFi-Driver_VNP1P_WIN_2.0.1170_A05_06

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zjk_6azGs7W4Xm5Z5PbKIg7NTq-_BZZ7/view?usp=sharing

1 Message

December 29th, 2019 20:00

I have the same problem as @Steellz Windows is stuck on "checking for updates"...

137 Posts

December 30th, 2019 01:00

Hi

I'm afraid the problem appears again and again because of updates of WIndows 10. 

Do not believe that Windows 10 is reliable.IT IS NOT TRUE. That's why so many updates are issued.

Besides there are so many conflicts with other software. I had, months ago, the similar problem on my MSI, but it was with Win10x64 1803 and I informed MIcrosoft.

I hope you'll be able to find a reason and manage to fix it yourself finally.

Best regards and Happy New Year!

June 27th, 2020 07:00

Same problem here.....I will not buy another alienware I can tell you that much. Takes the friggin thing forever to start up and I've been battling this wifi issue for an eternity! Nope, not again.

No Events found!