Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Rookie

• 

85 Posts

September 9th, 2018 13:00

17 R5, upgrade keyboard?

I recently bought a new Alienware 17 R5 laptop. When I was customizing my laptop on-line before I bought it, I forgot to check "Per key, multi-color RGB, keyboard with AlienFX lighting control" and I instead got a laptop with "4-zone, multi-color RGB, keyboard with AlienFX lighting control".

I was wondering, since this option only costs $30, if it's possible to upgrade the laptop's keyboard with the per key RGB one. The upgrade could be performed by myself if I can get the part or a Dell authorized service center could install the new keyboard.

My main question is if this upgrade is possible in terms of compatibility.

Any info would be appreciated,

jdb2

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 10th, 2018 21:00

Hi, 

We have never tried this type of upgrade. Therefore, we cannot confirm if its fully compatible. If you are still within the first 30 days of the purchase, you could return your system for a full refund and configure a new order with the Per key, multi-color RGB keyboard. 

3 Posts

September 17th, 2018 16:00

Id love to upgrade aswell.. as many people would also on reddit forums... 

but my build is 4months old and i cant just return it... if u guys could take that into considirtion i bet it would be a nice upgrade for all... even if it cost 120ish to have done. id have it done!

37 Posts

March 15th, 2019 01:00

I agree I would strongly suggest Dell Makes Per key, multi-color RGB, keyboard with AlienFX lighting control. available on the upgrade section for the 17 R5.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

December 13th, 2020 06:00

Hi @Alienware - Rodrigo  purchased our new 17 R5 during 2020, was delivered in its transit box with its label clearly saying that this <System Service Tag> is a Mod No CASSINI 17 MLK. The MLK refresh includes the TactX keyboard featuring RGB LEDs and supporting n-key rollover. However, the laptop keyboard lights are always in dark mode, FN+F12 AlienFX does not toggle LED lights off and on.

How do we get our 17 R5 MLK laptop to switch its LED lights on? 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

February 23rd, 2021 07:00

Hi @YayaLove  thank you for your suggestion.

The 17 R5 is in that group of laptops that has the new Dell flagship AWCC and AlienFX 2.0 applications. Our 17 R5 has the MLK refresh which includes the TactX keyboard featuring individual Key RGB LED lighting option and supporting n-key rollover

Our 17 R5 keyboard device is somehow not recognised as an AlienFX device, probably because Windows Updates or Dell updates have 'lost' its AlienFX keyboard driver, which cannot be reinstated. Consequently the AWCC FX tab and all the AlienFX 2.0 applications are not installed.

Recently, we were told that there is no AlienFX 2.0 tester and despite making many requests, SupportAssist still does not troubleshoot AlienFX device recognition. There is also speculation that the AWCC update application, permanently soft-bricks the system board's eeprom. Unlike other laptop providers, Dell do not allow their Warranty Technicians or users to reflash the eeprom, despite this being a Dell cost effective solution for everyone.

I truly wish that your suggestion was possible. Thank you. 

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2021 07:00

Not sure if you got an answer to this question but if not have you tried:

Alienware Command Center>FX>Active Default Theme>Settings: above settings it has a tab that says "Go Dark", if you toggle that, the keys turn off. Hope this helps. 

No Events found!