Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

8 Posts

November 10th, 2020 08:00

AGA, RTX 3000, news about compatibility?

hi there! Just wondered if there were any news of the RTX 3000 series being compatible for the AGA? Im delaying my purchase of the card until i know it works. Thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

November 17th, 2020 09:00

I think people said the AGA had great airflow no?

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

November 17th, 2020 10:00

Wrong. A modded AGA has great airflow. The stock AGA, has a 92mm fan at the front, with nearly 60% of the fan being covered by unecessary plastic, more unecessary plastic, fan grill and LED logo. The AGA was by no means bad, it is what it was, a 200$ eGPU dock. But now it is trash because Dell doesn't want people to know the PSU they included inside of it was too cheap and weak, so they'd rather tell people "The RTX 3000 series isn't supported because we don't want to be liable for fires if using a stock PSU"

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

November 17th, 2020 19:00

Well I mean didnt the PSU recommendations say that it needed a 470w power supply at least?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

November 18th, 2020 03:00

That is one opinion, but it's a biased one from an aggrieved owner.

There are some other issues to consider:

The launch of these 3000-series chips and the cards based on nVidia's reference design has not gone smoothly.  One has to wonder what last minute design changes nVidia made -- and may still be making -- play on the compatibility with the AGA.

Further, the AGA was designed and built long before these chips and the cards based on them were even in the final design stage.

Further still, these chips were released what many engineering experts think was insufficient testing.

Adding even more, there's a large number of parties involved.  Dell is just the seller - the AGAs were designed and manufactured by a contractor, and although nVidia designed the chips and probably provided input on the reference design for the cards, the manufacture of the chips and the cards is similarly contracted out.  There are any number of places in that long chain where things can (and demonstrably have) fallen apart.

There's no one party responsible here - and it may in fact be economically or engineering-wise, impossible to use one of these cards with the existing AGA hardware.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

November 18th, 2020 05:00

I agree to that because why would Dell and Alienware be responsible for a Graphics amp not working? I understand that they've contractors doing all the assembly and the engineers doing that but I mean come on, give them some time and they'll fix it so we can use the new cards. What people really don't understand is the graphics amp was released in what? 2013 or 2014 right? So that makes it 6-7 years old and we we're lucky that it allowed the RTX 2000 series on it but now because of Nvidias PCIe version they're using, that's why we have these issues because the board on the graphics amp cant convert the PCIe 4.0 to 3.0.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

November 18th, 2020 12:00

If Dell had promised the 3000 series support in the AGA, then yes - they'd be responsible.  They never did.

And given the statement in the sticky FAQ above, it's not going to happen.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

November 18th, 2020 13:00

And They're probably going to dump this model and make it cheaper for people who want to use the 2000 SERIES and TITAN RTX Cards while they make a new one that's white and supports all the new stuff.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

November 20th, 2020 18:00

I don't think you know how PCIE works. There are no bios, firmware or driver updates for a PCIE port. They just work. You know what the AGA is? It's literally just a PCIE to AW adapter lol. When do you ever buy a desktop and you go "dam, this new GPU came out, looks like I gotta buy a new motherboard to support this GPU". Or "looks like I gotta update this PCIE port to support this new GPU". It never happens. Maybe with PCIE5 it will, but atm its not a problem and that has nothing to do with Nvidia, it is Dell forcefully making GPUs incompatible.

The 3070s and below use less wattage than a 2080Ti. Any arguments about power is irrelevant due to Dell saying a 3070 and below is unsupported

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

November 21st, 2020 04:00

Your opinions are noted, but they're missing  the whole picture.

And yes, there are plenty of times when new GPUs are released that require newer system boards to support.  Just ask anyone who's been stranded by an OEM system only to find out the manufacturer did not upgrade firmware to recognize the new video firmware on successor video chips.

It's far more complex an issue - and the devices are far more complex than your understanding leads you to believe. 

If it were easy, eGPU systems would be universally compatible instead of hit-or-miss in compatibility.  They're decidedly not.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

November 22nd, 2020 13:00

Agreed.

imjust wondering when the new one will release.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

November 22nd, 2020 22:00

No, that is not how PCIE works. You don't need 'updates' to make them work. you plug it in. There may be incompatibilities trying to use a PCIE5.0 on PCIE3.0, but atm these RTX 3000 work on PCIE3.0 desktops. Your comment is based on nothing factual whatsoever and just ridiculous. If by 'stranded by OEM' you mean DELL again, then sure. Cuz yes DELL DOES create false incompatibilities in their desktops, because once again, greed or just plain stupidity. The fact people like you even say things like this, is the whole reason they get away with it. Because they trick unknowing people into spending their $$$

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

November 23rd, 2020 03:00

If that were true, than any eGPU would work with any system. 

And they do not - not even those that connect through standard Thunderbolt ports.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

November 23rd, 2020 10:00

Are you able to find any proof of incompatibility with something like the Razer Core X? Keep in mind, 'size' is not incompatibility with PCIE. 'Wattage' is not incompatibility with PCIE. Maybe you think those two things are PCIE incompatibilities?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

November 23rd, 2020 13:00

The Razer Cores use a standard Thunderbolt port - not the proprietary AGA interface.  Beyond the hardware comes the issue of driver support.  They're different technologies - what applies to a Thunderbolt eGPU box is different than what applies to an AGA eGPU box.

And yes, there are plenty of reports of Razer Core X incompatibilities with various systems and cards.  Even these aren't universally compatible devices.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 24th, 2020 04:00

I'm just wondering when the new one will release?
Alienware Area-51 ALX 2006

There has been zero internal discussion about a "new release" AGA.

No Events found!